Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is Rule By Democracy Shirk?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Is Rule By Democracy Shirk?
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:57:21 AM »
Dear brother Joseph,

I would like to know your views about democracy. I searched through out your website but couldn't find any article on politics and democracy in Islam.

There is a growing number of people who say that democracy is "shirk"because it violates the Quranic verse Inil Hukmu illa lillah. This group negate all forms of democracy, and they call the governments of Muslim countries like Pakistan, mushrik. This group wants to establish "Khilafat".

I would like to know your views on this issue. Is democracy really shirk? If yes, then how do we interpret this verse of Quran: Wa Amruhum Shura Bainahum

Further, does Islam even gives us a political system to follow, or is it left of mankind's intellectual to come up with a political system based on trial and error and collective intellect....?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Looking forward to hear from you  :)

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Is Rule By Democracy Shirk?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 04:00:08 AM »
May peace be with you.

Please see my comments below:

You respectfully share:

There is a growing number of people who say that democracy is "shirk" because it violates the Quranic verse Inil Hukmu illa lillah. This group negate all forms of democracy, and they call the governments of Muslim countries like Pakistan, mushrik.

In my humble view, such a sentiment finds no corroborating evidence from the Quran. Excerpts such as those cited from verses such as 12:40 refer to matters of religious beliefs not public / governmental or administrative concerns. This is further picked up in my responses to your next questions.

You respectfully enquire:

I would like to know your views on this issue. Is democracy really shirk? If yes, then how do we interpret this verse of Quran: Wa Amruhum Shura Bainahum

As you have cited verse 42:38, please see my response in the following answer to a question where I have contextualised the relevant verses.

DEMOCRACY OR NOT
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=704.0

You respectfully enquire:

Further, does Islam even gives us a political system to follow, or is it left of mankind's intellectual to come up with a political system based on trial and error and collective intellect....?

As you will have no doubt noted from your own study of the Quran, that it only intends provide sufficient guidance necessary to allow for societies to develop on whilst underpinning central doctrines and beliefs. Of course, it prescribes fundamental immutable laws and principles, but then it also does not intend to micromanage every possible human scenario as religious prescription. This allows for a wide berth for mutual consultations via intellectual endeavour.

For example, a Zakat rate is not prescribed by the Quran. The wisdom behind this absence is almost evident. For example, how could one rate of Zakat be appropriate for the needs and constant changing landscapes of a plethora of diverse communities? [1]

Furthermore, we can see from the evidence of Hebrew Kings and Prophets in the Quran such as Prophets David and Solomon (pbut), that they consulted and differed in their opinion, even mutually (21:78-79) about certain affairs, yet they ruled fundamentally by God's law / guidance given to them by extant scripture.

I hope that helps, God willing.

Your brother in faith,
Joseph.

REFERENCES:

[1] WHAT IS THE CONCEPT OF ZAKAT FROM THE QURAN?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/zakah%20FM3.htm
[2] CONSULTATION
http://quransmessage.com/articles/consultation%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell