Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Doctors

Offline Karin

• View Profile
Doctors
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:03:35 AM »
Can a woman undress for a male doctor who isn't her relative? If the undressing is necessary to diagnose a disease or perform an operation?

Offline Saba

• Keen to learn and understand the True Islam
    • View Profile
Re: Doctors
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:35:19 AM »
Dear Karin, Salaam. I personally would look for every opportunity given the type of illness to see if I can be seen by a female doctor - especially if my privacy is to be exposed!!!............ I have found that my requests in the past have been met. But it all depends I suppose on the nature of the visit to the doctor or if it concerns an operation. At the end of the day, as much as people claim to be professionals, they are still human beings with desires! I've heard some not so good stories. But I would try to make sure I have tried every other option first.  Saba  8)

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »
Salaam,

I make appointments with a female GP and have requested a female sonographer when I was pregnant and the request was met.

I have even refused a student male nurse accompanied by his senior (female) colleague to examine me after the birth of one of my children!

Obviously at times it cannot be avoided for example if you are having an operation or in an emergency but I would say that you should try your best to see a female practitioner.

Offline Armanaziz

• Arman Aziz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »
Salamun Alaikum.

I am a new member of this forum. Though this is an old thread, thought this would be relevant as it is a general topic.

I believe Al-Qur'an (24:31) gives the relevant guidelines on this topic. Below is the translation by Sahih International:

And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.

Note the phrase: "those male attendants having no physical desire".

I believe with this phrase Allah SWT allowed compromising privacy to doctors (who are supposed to swear not to be physically involved with the patient - known as "Hippocratic Oath") - in case of emergency.

May Allah guide us to all to straight route.

Regards,
Arman
Indeed I have faced my face to the One who farmed the heavens and the earth in precision; and I do not happen to be among the ones associating partners (with Him).

Offline AbbsRay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:44:27 AM »
Salaam Karen,

I always had male doctors and never had a problem or was worried about it being right or wrong. I never switched because of my religion and beliefs as I was brought up a Muslim. As Arman posted,  I truly believe that is why God has put that "attendance men with no desires" in verse 24:31.
I personally would not disgown if more than one person was in the room, whether it be female or male.

There are going to be times when the only option one has is the opposite sex because no one else is available, or the same gender doc one is wanting to treat them, is not available.

Hope this helps...  :)

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »
Salam Karen,

I think it depends on the doctor i have heard about cases where the "angel" in White has raped women under anaesthetic.So ask your doc if he is married,children what Hobbies(a serious doctor would spend a few minutes) if he like animals etc.

Answers like i have no time for a family are a Signal for you to look out.

Offline AbbsRay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 06:05:26 PM »
 ???