Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What Promise Was Made in Verse 8:7?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
What Promise Was Made in Verse 8:7?
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:54:23 AM »
As salaam u alaikum

In verse 8:7, God seems to have made a promise to the believers. However, looking in the Quran, I find no such promise. Please can you help me understand this verse please?

Thanks

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: What Promise Was Made in Verse 8:7?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:55:49 AM »
May peace be with you.

Earthly bounties are promised to believers who strive in God's cause. Please see verse 24:55.

Even in just war, God promises believers spoils as can be see in verse 48:20. However, such an endeavour during just war should not be premised by a case of ‘pick and choose’.

Those that pick 'easier options' are also informed in the Quran that their ranks are not comparable to those that strive in more difficult circumstances. Please see verse 57:10 in this regard.

It is Satan that instils fear and threatens destitution, whilst God promises all round bounty. Please see 2:268 in this regard.

Not withstanding the fact that the purpose of the messenger and God is one, there must have been a situation that arose in which believers were called to fight. However, the believers wanted to take the easier option instead. Rather than focusing simply on purpose, what seems to have influenced the decision of whom to fight was which one of the two situations was easiest to tackle with least endeavour. This is tacitly rebuked in verse 8:7 in retrospect.

Unnecessary details are not deemed important by the Quran and only sufficient information is given which makes the point presenting underlying wisdom.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell