Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Are Light Intoxicants Permissible on the Basis of 16:67 & 4:43?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Salaam 'Alaykum Joseph,

In light of 16:67 and and 4:43 Is it not conceivable that light intoxicants are allowed in Islam?

Thanks

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Are Light Intoxicants Permissible on the Basis of 16:67 & 4:43?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:46:44 AM »
May peace be with you.

In verse 16:67, arguably the term 'sakaran' (intoxicants) is contrasted against 'rizq'an hasanan' (good provision) i.e. 'not good provision'. Therefore in my humble opinion, this verse would be understood as a counter argument against the use of intoxicants and not in support of it as you have respectfully suggested.

Furthermore, in verse 4:43 and its general context, one needs to be conscious of not limiting the scope of the term 'sukara' which captures all those conditions in which a mind becomes befogged and where clarity is compromised.

I have discussed the issue of intoxication in the article [1] below.

Finally, I would personally gear any Quranic interpretation in a format in which any 'implicit' narrative of the Quran is understood in light of 'explicit' or more 'unequivocal' narratives and not vice versa.

I feel the imperative verb 'ijtanib' (shun, eschew) used at the helm of the condemnation of intoxicants is unequivocal (5:90) especially when it is the same verb used to condemn false deities (16:36). This for me at least is explicit and leaves no room for debate.

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph.

REFERENCE

[1] ARE INTOXICANTS FORBIDDEN (HARAM) IN THE QURAN?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/intoxication%20FM3.htm

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell