Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: No Hijab or Beard for Christians! Really?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
No Hijab or Beard for Christians! Really?
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:29:12 PM »
Dear Sir,

When I pointed out to my Christian friend (father in church) that some Bible verses were plagiarized by the Islamic Hadiths (Like the wearing of a beard or hijab, stoning for blasphemy etc ), his response was that what we Muslims copy from the Old Testament which was actually superseded / abrogated by the New Testament. 

The New Testament (in his view) did not support or mention the Hijab for women or the beard for men, hence there was no compulsion for Hijab or Beard for the Christians. 

Is this a correct statement!?

Regards.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: No Hijab or Beard for Christians! Really?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »
May peace be with you.

This question is really for the respected Christian folk to answer in light of their Biblical verses.

What did Jesus really mean when he said "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.” [Matthew 5:17]

Was Prophet Jesus’s intention to abolish the law of Moses and what is found in the Tanakh (in parts, completely)?

If not, then why have the following verses of the Old Testament been abandoned by many Christians when it is accepted that Prophet Jesus was a Jew and he explicitly stated that he came to fulfil the previous laws?

BIBLICAL VERSES ABOUT THE BEARD

http://www.openbible.info/topics/beard

As another example, Did Prophet Jesus consume swine flesh as a Jew? If not, then on whose authority was such a prohibition removed and why?

HAIR COVERAGE AND THE BIBLE

Similarly, it is for the Christian brother or sister to convincingly explain the meaning of the following verses in the New Testament and its overarching implication.

1 Corinthians Chapter 11 (3-10)

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

Another translation:

1 Corinthians Chapter 11 (5-6)

“But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is the same as having her head shaved. For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.” (New International Version (©2011))

How is Mary (mother of Prophet Jesus) generally depicted in images that portray her? Head uncovered or covered?

Even if it is argued that the head is to be covered only in a state of prayer, then why do many nuns maintain their head covering even when not in a state of prayer in public?

If it is further argued, that nun’s are continuously in a state of prayer, then why are not righteous believing Christian women also not in a state of continuous remembrance of their Lord as specified by the following Biblical verse of the New Testament?

1 Thessalonians 5:17

"pray continually" (NIV ©2011)

"Never stop praying" (New Living Translation ©2007)

"pray without ceasing" (English Standard Version ©2001)

If the above is a requirement for believing women, then why are they not in a state of head coverage at all times based on 1 Corinthians Chapter 11 (5-6)?

From the Old Testament and the following verses, it can be argued that by default, the head coverage for women was mandatory.

Genesis 24:65 (KJV)
65 For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.

Numbers 5:18  (KJV)
18 And the priest shall set the woman before the Lord, and uncover the woman's head, and put the offering of memorial in her hands, which is the jealousy offering: and the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that causeth the curse:

Isaiah 47:2  (KJV)
2 Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers.

Did Prophet Jesus intend to abolish such an expectation? If so, than the Christian brother and sister must arguably provide cogent explicit references to support their claims.

I hope this helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell