Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: From England, United Kingdom

Offline Ak

• View Profile
From England, United Kingdom
« on: May 11, 2013, 07:43:28 AM »
Peace/Salaam,

I have been Muslim for more than 2 years now and have struggled with the concept of the hadith being used for Islamic law.

When I first accepted Islam I was unaware of the hadith and was very surprised to find out that I needed to be following these hadiths, as the Qu'ran seemed to explain everything I needed to know to obtain peace in this life and in the hereafter (God-willing).

My first issue was the stoning which I found odd. Surely Allah would mention this in Surah Noor, not through a saying that would be passed through men over time.

I then found out how widespread the Sunnah was and God forbid, anyone finding out my stance could deem me "kafir" or non-believing as I would fall under the category of "not obey the Messenger".

I tried to get to grips with the hadith reading Jonathan AC Brown's book entitled "Hadith" and Bilal Phillip's book "Usul ul Hadith" (Principles of Hadith). I could still not be convinced as the Sunni ideology depended heavily on a concept of complete infallibility of the early companions, despite as Brown notes, their names listed in early books of Hadith transmission criticism.

I came across your website early on and found I agreed with most of your arguments which challenge core traditional "islamic" beliefs.

Nevertheless, I still figured it would be me who has the problem, as the concept of the Sunnah is so widespread.

I continued reading my Hadith books and entertaining the arguments of "pro-hadithers" but could still not be convinced.

I have found myself going full circle and coming back to my gut instinct, that the Qu'ran is the only binding guide for us until the end of time.

I want to thank you for your website as it comforts me to know their are other people who are willing and able to look outside the box.

PS, it really is frightening how people have a very close attachment to the Sunnah, to the point that they believe it is revelation and preserved by Allah just like the Qu'ran.

Regards,
AK

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: From England, United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:48:18 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam.

JazakAllah Khair AK for sharing your post and the kind words therein citing yourself as a kindred spirit.

May peace be with you always  :)
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell