Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Makkan and Madini Surahs

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Makkan and Madini Surahs
« on: May 17, 2013, 11:51:56 PM »
Dear Sir,

It appears that  the arrangement or Suras 1-114 are in order of lengths. Who have arranged this order?

Also there are Maki and Madanis Surahs and it is noted that Prophet was not regular visitors between two cities , hence who have named Maki/Madanis Surahs?

Please advise.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Makkan and Madini Surahs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:55:15 PM »
Peace

In my humble / academic opinion, the Quran was put together at the time of the Prophet, hence this would have been done with his sanction as an inspired Prophet of God.

The distinction between Makkan and Madinan Surahs is not an object of focus for the Quran. One should arguably approach the Quran as a consistent whole.

039:23 (part)
"God has revealed the best statement (in the form of) a Book, consistent with itself / resembling each other ..."

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:57:52 PM »
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

With respect, I have an opinion that the order has been at a later stage with the longest surah being put as the start of Quran. Also it appears that Makan/Madani allocation makes sense to negate the general understanding of the term " Obey Allah and Rasool" as meant to follow the all types of acts (including sexual, illogicial details) of Mohammad.

I noted that Obey Allah and Rasool is only referring in verses in Madina hence it was referring to Prophet's personal involvement with fights with the pagans and others opposing Prophet hence to give instructions/orders of/to the situation (fights) at the time.

This implies that OBEY ALLAH AND RASOOL is nothing to do with personal acts of Mohammed which has been written apparently by people of Jewish or Pagans original "following their fathers" instead of Scripture but Madina verse as commander/leader of the force/community.

Please advise if you differ.

Rgds

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:01:35 AM »
May peace be with you.

I think we are not really disagreeing.

My humble perspective is that the whole Quran was compiled in the life of the Prophet and with his sanction. Therefore, the Quran could have been put in some sort of arrangement of longest surahs first later in the Prophet’s ministry but the main point is that it was arguably compiled as we read it today during the Prophetic ministry. [1]

The Quran does not separate its narratives in accordance to what surah’s were revealed in what location and thus, it is in my humble opinion from the Quran, best to approach it as a consistent whole.  That is my contention.

You say:

I noted that Obey Allah and Rasool  is only referring in verses in Madina hence it was referring to Prophet's personal involvement with fights with pagans and others opposing Prophet hence to give instructions/orders of/to the situation (fights) at the time.

This may be the case, but once again, even if the Quran is studied holistically, it is clear that ‘Obey God and the Messenger’ has a particular context as I have attempted to demonstrate in the following article [2] below.

You say:

This implies that OBEY ALLAH AND RASOOL is nothing to do with personal acts of Mohammed which has been written apparently by people of Jewish or Pagans original "following their fathers" instead of Scripture but Madina verse as commander/leader of the force/community.

I do not disagree with your underlying sentiments, but I arrive at this conclusion by studying the Quran as one whole unit and not with the need to separate Madinian and Makkan surahs. Such a separation is ultimately a subjective matter.

Of course, when we study the Quran, we note a general theme of the context behind the revelations, but the Quran does not require one to separate the verses into geographical locations in order for one to extract necessary guidance.

I trust that clarifies, God willing.
Joseph.

REFERENCES:

[1] THE COMPILATION OF THE QURAN
http://quransmessage.com/articles/the%20compilation%20of%20the%20quran%20FM3.htm
[2] OBEY ALLAH (GOD) AND THE MESSENGER
http://quransmessage.com/articles/obey%20allah%20and%20the%20messenger%20FM3.htm

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell