Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Daabbah--the beast--what does it mean? Verse 27:82

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
Daabbah--the beast--what does it mean? Verse 27:82
« on: June 06, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »

Peace to all:

Allah SWT said: "And when the Word is fulfilled against them (the unjust), We shall produce from the earth a Beast to (face) them: it will speak to them,'"(al-Naml 27.82)

I read in a Shi'a book "The Book of Sulaym bin Qays" that the Hadhrat Ali said it is about the "Promised Mehdi" who will appear from the cave from his "greater occultation".   Sunnis believe that this will be a real beast who will emerge from the earth with a rod of Prophet Moses and ring of Prophet Solomon that will destroy all unbelievers...etc.

I wonder if I can pick your brains regarding the nature of the 'beast' or "living creature" (daabbah) mentioned in the above ayah.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Daabbah--the beast--what does it mean? Verse 27:82
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
Dear brother Irfan,

As-salam alaykum

Please see my humble perspectives on the interpretation of this verse.

A CREATURE FROM THE EARTH
http://quransmessage.com/articles/creature%20FM3.htm

Regards,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Irfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 03:25:15 PM »
Wa salamun alaikum, brother Joseph Islam,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about 27:82.  I must admit that this verse continues to be very difficult to understand for me.  I have seen many explanations of it and so far comprehension of this verse has proven elusive.  Most explanations are hadith based and do not make sense to me--unless we start believing in some "Mehdi" who has been alive in some cave (under earth).  That would be perfect.  However, I do not see any reference to "Mehdi" or any other apocalyptic figure in the Qur'an to support the Shi'a position.  Dr. Rashad Kahalifa's explanation, who advanced his explanation of 27:82 in support of his "Number 19" hypothesis, could be understood in the metaphorical sense of the word "Dabbah".  If it is taken literally, we have to assume that water is the ultimate source of not only all life in the Universe but also elements other than hydrogen (and oxygen), such as silicon.  That could be a tenable position on the scientific grounds because elements can be transformed, at least in theory, into one another-r hydrogen can be converted to other elements by adding protons to its nucleus--at very high temperatures and pressures-the conditions prevailing in the primordial universe. 

I can perhaps wait for some more thoughts from other participants on the forum.

Offline Saba

• Keen to learn and understand the True Islam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
Salaam I must say that I find bro Joseph's interpretation one of the most convincing so far. A good article!! The Rashad Khalifa computer interpretation is clearly unacceptable and a stretch of all proportions....Obviously there is no 'movement' in the manner of creatures as the article showed. I also liked the 'Qarin' interpretation which I had no clue about so I had to look up these verses. Very interesting indeed. Thanks Joseph for sharing!!  ;D 8) Saba

Offline Doc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 08:41:01 PM »
ditto Saba. Gotta agree. I'd take his view over the hadithi one any day. its a good explanation.

Offline optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 04:20:11 AM »
Salam,

I believe Brother Joseph Islam has given a good analysis of the verse but I think it stopped short of clarifying the “evil living entity”.

[JI] 027.082 (part) "And when the Word is fulfilled against them..."  If this is understood in light of its previous verse (27:81), then the addressees are those who were present at the time of the Prophet but remained in error.

Yes.  The verse can also have a wider connotation, applicable for all such communities of all times, past, present and future.

[JI] As noted already in the verses cited above (8:22, 8:55, 35:45), the Quran mainly refers to humans as 'Da'aba' in a negative sense. This negative connotation is further supported by the Arabic 'waqa'al-qawlu alayhim' (the word is fulfilled against them).

The point is also clear.   Considering the point that the word "da'aba" it is used for humans in a negative sense, I think 27:82 could be interpreted in this way.  For people who deviate from the right path and deny the truthfulness of Allah’s Laws, when the time is ripe to culminate the end result of their deeds,  what the verse could be telling us that, it will happen someone or some other party or some evil force within the country, or another nation, overpower them and tear them apart surgically which is supported by the following verses.

Say: "He hath power to send calamities on you, from above and below, or to cover you with confusion in party strife, giving you a taste of mutual vengeance - each from the other." See how We explain the signs by various (symbols); that they may understand (6:65)

“If you refrain from struggle (for life and survival), you will face tragic misfortune -- another nation will replace you -- and you will be helpless. These are Allah’s measures.”  (9:39), (11:57).

With regard to 'thukallimuhum' (talking to them), it does not necessarily mean a verbal communication as such, it could also mean a manifestation of facts and truths through visible signs.   Also, thukallim can also mean "to injure" as well as "to talk".  Sher Ali transalated verse 27:82 as "We shall bring forth for them an insect out of the earth which shall wound them because people did not believe in Our Signs"

Regards,
Optimist

PS:  Addab-badah is a big cart made of skins and wood which was used by soldiers to reach the fort of gates to break it down.  A tank of the older days that was used to move slowly and those inside were safe from the enemy’s onslaught. 
The meaning which was lost in all our divisions will not be understood until our perceptions become untainted -  Allama Iqbal

Offline Mehdi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 05:59:51 PM »
Dear all,

Assalamou alykom;

Just Thought I'd Share :

"And when We decreed for Solomon death, nothing indicated to the jinn his death except a creature of the earth eating his staff. But when he fell, it became clear to the jinn that if they had known the unseen, they would not have remained in humiliating punishment." 34:14

Here "Dabbatol Ardi" refers to some kind of termite - So I would totally agree with the analysis of brother Joseph.

With respect,

Mehdi.