Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Surah 2:259

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Surah 2:259
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:26:27 AM »
In the English transaction of Surah 2:259 as mentioned below a name Uzair is mentioned I would like to know as whom Allah is mentioning. Secondly while a person who was dead for hundred years was Resurrected by Allah but how is that his donkey was left as bones but his food was as fresh as he left before his death. I just wanted Know what is the significance in having his food fresh? Thanks

2:259
أَوْ كَالَّذِي مَرَّ عَلَىٰ قَرْيَةٍ وَهِيَ خَاوِيَةٌ عَلَىٰ
 عُرُوشِهَا قَالَ أَنَّىٰ يُحْيِي هَٰذِهِ اللَّهُ بَعْدَ مَوْتِهَا فَأَمَاتَهُ اللَّهُ مِائَةَ عَامٍ ثُمَّ بَعَثَهُ قَالَ كَمْ لَبِثْتَ قَالَ لَبِثْتُ يَوْمًا أَوْ بَعْضَ يَوْمٍ قَالَ بَل لَّبِثْتَ مِائَةَ عَامٍ فَانظُرْ إِلَىٰ طَعَامِكَ وَشَرَابِكَ لَمْ يَتَسَنَّهْ وَانظُرْ إِلَىٰ حِمَارِكَ وَلِنَجْعَلَكَ آيَةً لِّلنَّاسِ وَانظُرْ إِلَى الْعِظَامِ كَيْفَ نُنشِزُهَا ثُمَّ نَكْسُوهَا لَحْمًا فَلَمَّا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُ قَالَ أَعْلَمُ أَنَّ اللَّهَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ
2:259
Or the like of him (Uzair) who passed by a town, and it had fallen down upon its roofs; he said: When will Allah give it life after its death? So Allah caused him to die for a hundred years, then raised him to life. He said: How long have you tarried? He said: I have tarried a day, or a part of a day. Said He: Nay! you have tarried a hundred years; then look at your food and drink -- years have not passed over it; and look at your ass; and that We may make you a sign to men, and look at the bones, how We set them together, then clothed them with flesh; so when it became clear to him, he said: I know that Allah has power over all things.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Surah 2:259
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 01:46:56 AM »
Salaam,

I have looked at the arabic and there is no mention of 'Uzair'. It only says 'Or like the one who passed by a township..' I think thsat the fact that it is in brackets menas that the information is from secondary sources.

The reason the food and drink was left in tact was to contrast against the donkey bones so that the man could realise how long he had slept for. He initially thought he slept for a day or part of a day. By preserving his food and drink, it was another sign from God so as to clear any confusion that the man may have had and a further emphasis of His Power and Might.