Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Committing Suicide

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Committing Suicide
« on: November 13, 2011, 06:22:41 AM »
Salaam brother,

There has also been something that I have not been quite able to understand in the Quran, maybe you could shed some light. The verse where it says: 'God will not place any soul a burden that is too heavy to carry...'. Instantly I think well, if someone has committed suicide they obviously have a burden that is too heavy to carry!

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Committing Suicide
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 06:24:01 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam

I don't think suicide and the verses appealing to the fact that no soul will be tested beyond what they can bear are necessarily mutually exclusive. If I have the capacity to endure something, but decide not to for some reason, it is a judgment based on volition not capacity. God knows well one's capacity. But we also exercise choice. In all cases, only God can judge.

However it is also noteworthy, that albeit most refer to verse 4:29 for the prohibition of suicide, the parameters of this verse in the next verse - 4:30 is usually not cited which provides the remit of the prohibition. This is 'aggression / enmity / rancour / transgression' - Arabic: 'udwan' and 'injustice / wrongdoing' - Arabic: 'zulm'.

Killing / suicide committed for these reasons will be subject to the hell-fire.

004:030
"And whoever does that in aggression / enmity / transgression (udwan) and unjustly / wrongdoing (zulm), We will soon cast him into fire; and this is easy for God"

This also arguably, supports the usage of the term 'anfusakum - yourselves' (plural) in verse 4:29 which in the theme of the verse is not only a reference to killing oneself, but also killing others whether singularly or as groups.

I hope that helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell