Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Who is the messiah?

Offline Hassan3000

• View Profile
Who is the messiah?
« on: April 05, 2016, 03:08:51 AM »
May peace be upon you :)

Lately I had a question in my mind, the messiah according to the jewish scriptures was supposed to do things which Jesus(P.B.U.H) did not do. For example, be the king of Israel. Answers to these questions are usually that he would do it when he comes back again, but then, the article that brother Joseph Islam wrote is convincing that the second coming is not supported by the Quran

http://quransmessage.com/pdfs/Second%20Coming.pdf

Maybe I'm just ignorant on this, but how can he be the messiah if he did not perform the tasks that he was suppose to do?

Offline Zack

• View Profile
Re: Who is the messiah?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:12:49 AM »
Hello Hassan,

Was there anything in particular you would thinking of that didn't qualify Jesus as the Messiah?

As far as being a King, this was why the Roman authorities opposed Jesus. He was recognised by the masses of lower class as their king. With this, Jesus was a threat to Roman authority in their view. Roman power, with less than 5% of their own people in Palestine, could only be maintained with an allegiance with the Jewish temple authorities, who they collaborated with.

So the figure of Jesus is very political, and that of a king. It is just that we view a king has to have a Palace and wealth. However Jesus presents a different kingdom... one of servanthood, love for the poor, and suffering for the sake of others.

This is the heart of the Injil, and the essence of the Kingship that was introduced by the Messiah.

Wasalam
Zack

Offline Hassan3000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:59:18 AM »
May peace be upon you, thanks for the answer :),

Well yes, to be specific, for example:

Ezekiel 37:26-28: Build the Third Temple
Isaiah 43:5-6: Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel
Isaiah 2:4: Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore."
Zechariah 14:9: Spread universal knowledge of the G-d of Israel - uniting the entire human race as one: "G-d will be King over all the world—on that day, G-d will be One and His Name will be One"

To be honest, I'm not really that educated on this matter, its just a question in my mind, forgive me for my ignorance. Are these like, maybe misunderstood prophecies or such?

Thanks again.

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:05:45 AM »
Ezekiel 37:26-28: Build the Third Temple
Isaiah 43:5-6: Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel
Isaiah 2:4: Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore."
Zechariah 14:9: Spread universal knowledge of the G-d of Israel - uniting the entire human race as one: "G-d will be King over all the world—on that day, G-d will be One and His Name will be One"
Thank you for your questions.The Jews at the time of Jesus clearly wanted a political King to overthrow the Roman Empire. It was a part of an ethnic pride on their part as seeing themselves as the chosen people. This is seen in John 10 until John 12, where Jesus is declared King as he enters Jerusalem. The theme of Jesus' teaching is the "Kingdom of God" and the formation of a spiritual community. Throughout the Injil, the verses above are quoted as being fulfilled by the this spiruitual kingdom.

Israel wanted a restoring of their local political king, with a Temple, a chosen people of Israel, the priest, and that is how they interpret the above verses. The Injil presents the physical Temple, Chosen People / Nation, Priest etc as being a template for the Kingdom of God. Jesus' teaching presents the essence of this kingdom... LOve your neighbour etc.

Jesus was confronting ethnic pride of the Jews, as he was introducing a fulfillment of Torah / Zabur prophecy that didn't give room for ethnic pride, but focussed on the unseen... the heart.

Wasalam
Zack

PS: I too have "blank areas" in my understanding, that being classical Islam.

Offline Hassan3000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:36:09 AM »
May peace be upon you :)

Thank you for your answers   :D, i get it now!