Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Critique - THE LIMITS OF OBEYING A MESSENGER by Hassan

Offline Hassan3000

• View Profile
Critique - THE LIMITS OF OBEYING A MESSENGER by Hassan
« on: July 08, 2016, 06:42:43 PM »
May peace be upon you brother Joseph :)

First and foremost I would like to thank you for this incredible site :) may God reward you immensely. I have read your article regarding the limits of obeying a messenger. I have read the points you have made, but I cannot reconcile it with the ayaa below:

"But no, by your Lord, they will not [truly] believe until they make you, [O Muhammad], judge concerning that over which they dispute among themselves and then find within themselves no discomfort from what you have judged and submit in [full, willing] submission." (4:65) [SAHIH INTERNATIONAL]

So here it shows, we have to submit to what prophet Muhammad (PBUH) judges. I cannot fully understand this, as at one place it shows that the Prophet can make mistakes and that we should obey him in a just matter, and not follow him blindly, but in this ayaa, it says we should fully submit to his judgment.

Please forgive me for any ignorance on my part, thank you again for your time :).

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
Re: Critique - THE LIMITS OF OBEYING A MESSENGER by Hassan
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 05:21:33 PM »
Salaam Hassan3000,

Although your question is directed at brother Joseph I would like to share with you my humble response.

I believe, as brother Joseph alluded to in one of his articles, that the directive here was, first and foremost, to the contemporaries of the Prophet who were the direct addressees. It is they who were being instructed to submit to the judgement of the prophet.

Secondly, if the verse you've cited is read in conjunction with verse 60:12 then it becomes clear that submission to his judgement is only allowed when his judgement is shown to be fair, just and right and in-line with the book of Allah (the Quran)
This understanding is also reinforced by the directive: "and then find within themselves no discomfort from what you have judged" in the verse you cited.

Furthermore, I believe that albeit they are the same person, a distinction must be made between 'Muhammad the messenger / prophet' and 'Muhammad the man / husband / father'.
Muhammad, in his capacity as a man / husband / father, would not have (in his general judgement) been 'infallible / flawless', and made occasional mistakes / errors, as clearly noted from these Quranic verses: 9:43, 80:1-10, 66:1. These minor errors / mistakes were, however, invariably pointed out to him, and thus rectified, through divine revelation. Judgments made by Muhammad (pbuh) in his capacity as a man / husband / father must be accepted only when they are shown to be just [/b]and right and in-line with the book of Allah (the Quran).
Whereas Muhammad, in his capacity as a messenger / prophet, (entrusted to deliver the Quran) would NOT have made any mistakes / errors, as he was under divine guidance / influence (53:3-4; 69:44-48; 15:9).
Therefore, I believe the verse you cited was asking the contemporaries of the Prophet to accept (and act upon) the judgement of Muhammad (pbuh) made in his capacity as a prophet, and sense those judgments were made by Muhammad in his capacity as a messenger / prophet (which meant he was under divine influence) they must'v be right and just.

That is my humble understating. Any critique is welcomed.
Peace.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 09:42:06 PM »
Dear Brother Hassan

As-salamu alaykum

Thank you for your kind and in my humble opinion, very wise response. I could not have responded any better and with the points you have covered Masha'Allah.

Please continue to provide answers as best you can and assist each other as you kindly do.  I know others do too.

Thank you to you all. God bless.

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Hassan3000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 12:02:43 AM »
May peace be upon you :)

Thank you so much for the answer :D I understand it now.

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 09:03:06 AM »
Peace Hassans.  ;D
deleted

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 03:07:53 PM »
You're welcome brother Joseph. And thank you for your kind words and the wisdom / knowledge you have shared with us in your many articles and Facebook posts, may God bless you in this world and the next for that.

You're also welcome brother Hassan3000.

And peace to you as well eliiah.
 :)