Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: what does and doesn't forgiveing someone mean in islam

Offline yahya

• View Profile
what does and doesn't forgiveing someone mean in islam
« on: July 02, 2016, 11:01:15 PM »
Assalam alikum i was just wondering what does and doesn't forgiveing someone mean in islam like does forgiving someone mean that like if your wife or husband cheated on you does forgiving them mean you have to still be with them that you cant divorce them example if you know what I mean and any other examples you can think off etc of what does and doesn't forgiveing someone mean jazzakkallah like you could put them in bullet points etc jazzakkallah

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
Re: what does and doesn't forgiveing someone mean in islam
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 04:36:58 AM »
Depends on what word you've translated to "forgive".
deleted

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 06:25:41 AM »
maghfiratan and ighfir

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 12:40:55 AM »
Peace.  :) From how our Lord has used it, I take it to mean to forgive as if what has happened, hasn't. (I'd like a second perspective on this though.)
deleted

Offline yahya

• View Profile
does forgiveness mean no punishment and no justice in islam
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 01:46:01 AM »
Assalam alikum does forgiveness mean no punishment and no justice in islam like a thief or a rapist and you forgive them does it mean they are not to punished like the thief is not to give back what he stole etc like does forgiveness mean no justice in islam if you no what I mean jazzakkallah

Offline QM Moderators Team

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 02:57:23 AM »
Dear Yahya,

Please can you refrain from asking the same questions on different threads. Your questions have been merged in some threads but any future questions that you repeat will be deleted.

Thanks

QM Moderators Team

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 05:10:28 AM »
Peace. When ever has our Lord instructed us to forgive those people?
deleted

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »
No what I mean is does forgiveness mean no punishment and no justice if you know what I mean jazzakkallah like can you have forgiveness and punishment and justice at the same time jazzakkallah

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 01:09:45 PM »
Do you mean from our Lord?
deleted

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 10:50:47 AM »
I mean from us when allah says to forgive etc but meaning from us jazzakkallah I mean on earth

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 06:58:06 AM »
Peace be upon you.

From what I see, just two times does our Lord use words conjugated from the letters 'غ ف ر' ("to forgive") in situations in which you're to forgive. Almost all uses aside from those occur as supplications to our Lord, or as responses (perhaps to those supplications) from our Lord; that He'll forgive all those that do righteous deeds.

The two times our Lord uses the words, in which it's about your forgiveness:

1. He uses the word 'وَتَغْفِرُوا' (which means "and you forgive") to command you to forgive, in 64:14 where He states "يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِنَّ مِنْ أَزْوَاجِكُمْ وَأَوْلَادِكُمْ عَدُوًّا لَكُمْ فَاحْذَرُوهُمْ وَإِنْ تَعْفُوا وَتَصْفَحُوا وَتَغْفِرُوا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَحِيمٌ". From 64:14 you see who you're commanded to forgive. (also see that our Lord uses three words in this statement that have to do with forgiveness; 'تَعْفُوا' ,'وَتَصْفَحُوا', and 'وَتَغْفِرُوا'- which I think demonstrates how imperative it's to forgive those people mentioned)

2. In 2:263, the word 'وَمَغْفِرَةٌ ' ("and forgiveness") is used in the statement "قَوْلٌ مَعْرُوفٌ وَمَغْفِرَةٌ خَيْرٌ مِنْ صَدَقَةٍ يَتْبَعُهَا أَذًى".

Again though, our Lord uses words aside from these that have to do with forgiveness, such as those conjugated from the letters 'ع ف و', and the letters 'ص ف ح'. It might be useful to see those also.
deleted

Offline yahya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »
Thanks jazzakkallah