Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Gambling

Offline Star

• View Profile
Gambling
« on: February 28, 2016, 12:00:35 PM »
Salam everyone :)

Apparently there was a type of lottery used to determine who got to see Pope Francis a while ago. It didn't cost anything and I wouldn't call it gambling, but do you think such a lottery is Quranically allowed?

Also, what about kids' arcade money and stuff like that? It's not really legitimate gambling, but it is related to games of chance. Do you thnk the Quran allows things like that? I don't think there's any harm in kids going to arcades, but I'm just wondering if there's anything against it in the Quran.

Thnx in advance :)

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
Re: Gambling
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:33:17 PM »
Salam mia666,

In gambling, it is common that a sort of enmity is/will-be built between the participants. The person who loses his money to his opponent is bound to resent him and have a feeling of vengeance. Thus, the dominating influence on the gamblers is that of hatred and enmity.

Furthermore, in gambling (in game of chances) the person who wins, upon making a lot of easy money, will inevitably look for ways and means to self-indulgence in his ill-gotten wealth; thus further leading to unlawful evils.

Hence the main reason, in my opinion, why gambling and games of chances are forbidden is because of the risk involved in them (some of them alluded to above).

So with regards to the two scenarios you presented I, personally, do not see them as haram; for the simple reason that there isn't a level of risk involved in partaking in them.

Hope that helps.

Offline Star

• View Profile
Re: Gambling
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 08:31:12 AM »
Thank you for clarifiication :)