Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: POV Question

Offline Star

• View Profile
POV Question
« on: January 21, 2016, 09:10:29 AM »
Salam :)
This might seem like a strange question, but many verses, such as 27:91, switch to Muhammad's point of view abruptly with no apparent transition. This verse isn't directing Muhammad so say anything, it seems to be directly said by him. Some people use this to say he wrote the Quran himself, because parts of it are seemingly written from his point of view. What are the views of other members on this?

I'm certainly not saying that he wrote it. I'm just saying that some people think he did, because there are many verses that are apparently written from his point of view. :)

Offline Star

• View Profile
Re: POV Question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 09:13:44 AM »
Also, another question relating to this: Verses like 95:1 talk about God swearing on His creation. Is this actually God swearing, or Muhammad? Why would God swear on His creation and whose point of view are these verses from?

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 01:12:09 PM »
Salaam mis666,

With respect to the claim that prophet Muhammad (pbuh) wrote the Quran, Joseph Islam has written (what I believe to be) an excellent respond to a similar claim on his Facebook page. I highly advice you to read it:

FINGERPRINTS OF AUTHENTICITY
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/216314685172333

FINGERPRINTS OF AUTHENTICITY (FOLLOW-UP)
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/217054775098324

With respect to 95:1 in which God swears on several of his creation (the fig and the olive, Mount Sinai, and the secured land, I like the following commentary regarding it:

<<< The fig and the olive symbolize, in this context, the lands in which these trees predominate: i.e., the countries bordering on the eastern part of the Mediterranean, especially Palestine and Syria. As it was in these lands that most of the Abrahamic prophets mentioned in the Qur'an lived and preached, these two species of tree may be taken as metonyms for the religious teachings voiced by the long line of those God-inspired men, culminating in the person of the last Judaic prophet, Jesus. Mount Sinai, on the other hand, stresses specifically the apostleship of Moses, inasmuch as the religious law valid before, and up to, the advent of Muhammad - and in its essentials binding on Jesus as well - was revealed to Moses on a mountain of the Sinai Desert. Finally, this land secure signifies undoubtedly (as is evident from 2:126) Mecca, where Muhammad, the Last Prophet, was born and received his divine call. Thus, verses 1-3 draw our attention to the fundamental ethical unity underlying the teachings - the genuine teachings - of all the three historic phases of monotheistic religion, metonymically personified by Moses, Jesus and Muhammad. The specific truth to be considered here is referred to in the next three verses. >>>

Peace.

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »
Peace Mia

Just to add to brother Hassan's comment.If i'm understanding you correctly, God is not swearing ON his creation. He is giving a oath by the creations that He created that gives so much weight and meaning.

I would think it should be read for example some verses:

95:1 By the fig and the olive
103:1 By time
93:1 By the morning brightness
89:1 By the dawn

Peace

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 08:33:04 AM »
 ;) Thank you everyone for clarification. I understand this is a question asked by many doubters and I figured I should clear it up :)

BTW verse 27:91 switches from 3rd to 2nd person. This change also occurs in Surah Fatiha and has a specific purpose. It's all in the articles :)

Offline A.H.A

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 06:53:37 AM »
Peace to All

(lame greens in italic are mine)

This might seem like a strange question, but many verses, such as 27:91, switch to Muhammad's point of view abruptly with no apparent transition. This verse isn't directing Muhammad so say anything, it seems to be directly said by him. Some people use this to say he wrote the Quran himself, because parts of it are seemingly written from his point of view. What are the views of other members on this?

I am commanded to worship the Lord of this land He has blessed, to whom all things belong; and I am commanded to be one of those who submit, And (means, it continuous) to recite the Qur'an." Whoever comes to guidance does so for himself; as for him who stays astray, then tell him (means, in addition to what you have said previously i.e. I am commanded to worship th...., therefore the previous verses are not from Muhammad's POV): "I am only a warner." Q[27:91,92]

Also, another question relating to this: Verses like 95:1 talk about God swearing on His creation. Is this actually God swearing, or Muhammad? Why would God swear on His creation and whose point of view are these verses from?

By the Fig and the Olive, And the Mount of Sinai, And this City of security,- We have indeed created man (means, God is the creator of man according to the Quran, therefore, God swearing not Muhammad) in the best of mould, Q[95:1-4]

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »
A.H.A.: I read the next verse in conjunction with 27.91, and it makes sense now...thanks ;)

:D 8)

Also, upon close examination, it appears that God is swearing on these things, not Muhammad. You're right...thank you everyone for clearing this up

Mia