Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Marriage with an Atheist...?

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
Marriage with an Atheist...?
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:43:43 PM »
Salam All...

Hope you are all fine...i m jus confused...somewhere i saw scholar stating that...There can be no sin worse than denying the existence of God, our Creator, Cherisher and Lord. Therefore, as a Muslim, you are not allowed to remain in a marriage with her if she does not believe in God...so...if my dad is an atheist..does that mean that...my mom should not remain married to him?...:S...i dont know..what he is completely...he respects our religion and everything..he just thinks that...Quran got corrupted...and because of that...people are promoting hatred...while...this is not true...as...this is all happening because of Hadeeths..not Quran...but...people...mostly think that...all bad things are happening..coz Quran says so...i jus dnt know..whether...he is atheist or not...but still...if he is an atheist...is it ok for my mom to remain married to him?...kindly clear it please...

with best regards,
Anjum

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
Re: Marriage with an Atheist...?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:18:19 PM »
Salamu Alykum Anjum

The Quran strongly advised believers to marry only believers whether they are from their own kind, those whom one may have authority over or whether they are from the People of the Book. (2:221)(4:25)(5:5).

Now if someone has already married and one of the spouse turns out to be different than a believer I would take the wisdom thats imparted from the story of the Quran about Pharoah and his Wife. Although Pharaoh was a tyrant disbeliever his wife who remained married was from the believers. Also Prophet Luts wife was one who lagged behind. However Prophet Lut still did his role in keeping his marriage.

One is not expected to divorce if their faith is not jeopardized unless if they wish.

However if someone is not yet married and they are believers they are suggested if not commanded to marry believers.

Peace

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 01:56:38 PM »
Salam Hamzeh...

Thank you very much for your reply...:)...i m relieved to hear that...nothing wrong to remain married...:)...actually...my dad is also a muslim..i mean...he belongs to our religion only...but..he started disbelieving...after continuous deaths in his family...he did not...change his religion or something..he is still muslim..its just that..he does not pray...but...he do help the needy...and pay taxes and all...he jus thinking that...Quran got corrupted..and somewhere..i believe that..he still have hope in God...as he...mentions God's name often..:)...thank you very much...:)...i hope he is also a believer...:)..

With best regards,
Anjum

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »
Salaam,

I understand the point about Pharoah's wife becoming a believer but regarding Prophet Lot, as far as my understanding, he was unaware that his wife was a non believer.

Anjum if your father is thinking that the Quran has become corrupted that may just be a doubt and he may need to search deelpy into these feelings and seek answers.

If however, he has left the religion in his heart and mind I think that it may be a different matter but again I would urge some sort of intervention for him not just a blanket divorce.

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 12:57:46 PM »
Salam Sis Truth seeker...

I thank you very much for your reply...:)...i do not think that...he has left the religion yet sis...coz...he..still calls upon God..when he is distressed...or tired...he says...God..help me...some times he say...Bismillah...and sometimes...he say...Allah...and all...so..i m not sure...that he left the religion sis...:)...lets hope for the best though..:)...Thank you very much for clarification and help..:)..

With Best regards,
Anjum