Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What does verse 4:17 mean?

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
What does verse 4:17 mean?
« on: December 29, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »
Can someone please explain what does verse 4:17 mean by the term "soon after" for repentance acceptable purpose?
“And no example do they bring to you but We bring to you the truth and the BEST TAFSEER (EXEGESIS).” 25:33

The best commentary of the Qur’an is the Qur’an itself!

Offline Star

• View Profile
Re: What does verse 4:17 mean?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
I think "soon after" means soon after they realize they've done something wrong. Obviously, the person has to figure out that they've done something wrong first, and they should take initiative to repent immediately after this.

Just a note, the verse says "people who do wrong in ignorance". All sins are committed in general ignorance or disregard of God's rules. This verse isn't only talking about accidental sins, it's saying that pretty much all sins are done out of ignorance. So yeah.

;D

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »
I think "soon after" means soon after they realize they've done something wrong. Obviously, the person has to figure out that they've done something wrong first, and they should take initiative to repent immediately after this.

Just a note, the verse says "people who do wrong in ignorance". All sins are committed in general ignorance or disregard of God's rules. This verse isn't only talking about accidental sins, it's saying that pretty much all sins are done out of ignorance. So yeah.

;D

But Allah says that He will accept repentance only if the repentance is done immediately. However other verses in Quran says that He will forgive all sins when a person repents and it is not necessarily that the repentance is done immediately. Can you please explain the correct meaning of the verse 4:17?
“And no example do they bring to you but We bring to you the truth and the BEST TAFSEER (EXEGESIS).” 25:33

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 10:07:15 PM »
Peace Sstikstof.

Let us look at the subject and context of 4:17:

4:16
The couple who commit adultery shall be punished.* If they repent and reform, you shall leave them alone. God is Redeemer, Most Merciful.
وَالَّذانِ يَأتِيٰنِها مِنكُم فَـٔاذوهُما فَإِن تابا وَأَصلَحا فَأَعرِضوا عَنهُما إِنَّ اللَّهَ كانَ تَوّابًا رَحيمًا
4:17
Repentance is acceptable by God from those who fall in sin out of ignorance, then repent immediately thereafter. God redeems them. God is Omniscient, Most Wise.
إِنَّمَا التَّوبَةُ عَلَى اللَّهِ لِلَّذينَ يَعمَلونَ السّوءَ بِجَهٰلَةٍ ثُمَّ يَتوبونَ مِن قَريبٍ فَأُولٰئِكَ يَتوبُ اللَّهُ عَلَيهِم وَكانَ اللَّهُ عَليمًا حَكيمًا
4:18
Not acceptable is the repentance of those who commit sins until death comes to them, then say, "Now I repent." Nor is it acceptable from those who die as disbelievers. For these, we have prepared a painful retribution.
وَلَيسَتِ التَّوبَةُ لِلَّذينَ يَعمَلونَ السَّيِّـٔاتِ حَتّىٰ إِذا حَضَرَ أَحَدَهُمُ المَوتُ قالَ إِنّى تُبتُ الـٰٔنَ وَلَا الَّذينَ يَموتونَ وَهُم كُفّارٌ أُولٰئِكَ أَعتَدنا لَهُم عَذابًا أَليمًا

Qoran is talking here about a specific sin, adultery. Although repentance applies to all sins.
4;17 and 4:18 go on to explain repentance in general

So if one repents, knowing full well ,this is a sin, obviously they need to stop it immediately, once they realise /know it is wrong.

If one carries on,knowing full well they  are committing a sin,then they either do not want to stop immediately or they might stop in the future...Or until it is time to die( No one knows how long in the future they are going to live!).then obviously they are not repenting?
Hope that helps.
GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 03:42:14 AM »
Peace Sstikstof.

Let us look at the subject and context of 4:17:

4:16
The couple who commit adultery shall be punished.* If they repent and reform, you shall leave them alone. God is Redeemer, Most Merciful.
وَالَّذانِ يَأتِيٰنِها مِنكُم فَـٔاذوهُما فَإِن تابا وَأَصلَحا فَأَعرِضوا عَنهُما إِنَّ اللَّهَ كانَ تَوّابًا رَحيمًا
4:17
Repentance is acceptable by God from those who fall in sin out of ignorance, then repent immediately thereafter. God redeems them. God is Omniscient, Most Wise.
إِنَّمَا التَّوبَةُ عَلَى اللَّهِ لِلَّذينَ يَعمَلونَ السّوءَ بِجَهٰلَةٍ ثُمَّ يَتوبونَ مِن قَريبٍ فَأُولٰئِكَ يَتوبُ اللَّهُ عَلَيهِم وَكانَ اللَّهُ عَليمًا حَكيمًا
4:18
Not acceptable is the repentance of those who commit sins until death comes to them, then say, "Now I repent." Nor is it acceptable from those who die as disbelievers. For these, we have prepared a painful retribution.
وَلَيسَتِ التَّوبَةُ لِلَّذينَ يَعمَلونَ السَّيِّـٔاتِ حَتّىٰ إِذا حَضَرَ أَحَدَهُمُ المَوتُ قالَ إِنّى تُبتُ الـٰٔنَ وَلَا الَّذينَ يَموتونَ وَهُم كُفّارٌ أُولٰئِكَ أَعتَدنا لَهُم عَذابًا أَليمًا

Qoran is talking here about a specific sin, adultery. Although repentance applies to all sins.
4;17 and 4:18 go on to explain repentance in general

So if one repents, knowing full well ,this is a sin, obviously they need to stop it immediately, once they realise /know it is wrong.

If one carries on,knowing full well they  are committing a sin,then they either do not want to stop immediately or they might stop in the future...Or until it is time to die( No one knows how long in the future they are going to live!).then obviously they are not repenting?
Hope that helps.
GOD bless you.
Peace.

Understood! But what if someone realizes his sin 10 years later & repent, Will it be acceptable according to this verse as it is talking about repent "soon after/soon immediately/ min qarībin".

I specially heard from an interpretation that the term "soon after" means "before the death of a person". Is this correct?

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 04:23:43 AM »
Thanks for the response. Behind all these repentance, intention is the key, that I believe. I once did a critical sin by ignorance. After long times later, I realized what I've done & stopped immediately & asked forgiveness from my lord. Bless for me for better future. Salamun Alaikum!

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 09:45:09 AM »
You have to keep in mind that "soon" is relative. Maybe repenting before death is "soon" enough for God. If you repent sincerely, then I think it's good enough.  :D

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 05:24:07 PM »
I assured the matter when I read the verse in context. Here in context, soon after refers to till the previous moment of one's death except mocking of repentance. Am I right on this?