Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: how should we understand 47:36 with 9:111 ?

Offline ilker

• View Profile
how should we understand 47:36 with 9:111 ?
« on: March 09, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »
Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters...

How do you think we should approach these two ayats together in the light of their context ?

47:36:

[This] worldly life is only amusement and diversion. And if you believe and fear Allah , He will give you your rewards and not ask you for your properties.

9:111:

Indeed, Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and their properties [in exchange] for that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of Allah , so they kill and are killed. [It is] a true promise [binding] upon Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. And who is truer to his covenant than Allah ? So rejoice in your transaction which you have contracted. And it is that which is the great attainment.

Offline Star

• View Profile
Re: how should we understand 47:36 with 9:111 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:54:54 AM »
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to this question, but it's quite a good issue to raise. I'm confused as well. I think AnsweringChristianity might have an article about this. They usually have articles about alleged "contradictions".

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
thanks for the answer :) that is a good website but so labyrinthic at the same time. Usually i can't find what i'm looking for :)

Offline Hassan3000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 12:35:32 AM »
May peace be upon you  :D

Context is the key here. Here at 9:111

Indeed, Allah has purchased from the believers their lives and their properties [in exchange] for that they will have Paradise. They fight in the cause of Allah , so they kill and are killed. [It is] a true promise [binding] upon Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an.

And who is truer to his covenant than Allah ? So rejoice in your transaction which you have contracted. And it is that which is the great attainment.

Surah 9 in general is about war, meaning the disbelievers waged war against the muslims, and so they had to defend themselves. But, are all muslims in a war at this point in time? Indeed God has not asked for every muslim's life or property as God does not test everyone the same since every person has his/her own limit.

"Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity...." [2:286]

On the other hand, for the other muslims, that are not in a situation that they should fight for justice and God, God has not asked for their lives and properties and hence 47:36, but even though God tells us about times when he will ask for our possessions in the next verses (Sahih International Translation).

"[This] worldly life is only amusement and diversion. And if you believe and fear Allah , He will give you your rewards and not ask you for your properties." [47:36]

"If He should ask you for them and press you, you would withhold, and He would expose your unwillingness." [47:37]

"Here you are - those invited to spend in the cause of Allah - but among you are those who withhold [out of greed]. And whoever withholds only withholds [benefit] from himself; and Allah is the Free of need, while you are the needy. And if you turn away, He will replace you with another people; then they will not be the likes of you." [47:37]

As you can see, not everyone is asked for his possessions, even though we all should spend in God's way, even if we are not in war in ways such as charity, etc.

Hope that answers the question  :), if i made a mistake in my answer, please enlighten me  ;)

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 06:02:33 AM »
Thank you for your reply, this makes a lot more sense now :)

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »
thanks for the answers. here is an alternative answer on a website i also frequently use for my questions. good for a different perspective inshaAllah.

http://quranqanda.com/4241/how-to-understand-47-36-and-9-111-together