Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Sam Shamoun (Islam Critic)

Offline Reader Comments

• View Profile
Sam Shamoun (Islam Critic)
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:04:26 PM »
Site: http://www.answering-islam.org/authors/shamoun/contact.html
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SamShamoun

----------------------------------

Sent: 07 May 2014 16:50
To: josephislam1@gmail.com
Subject: Your article on Gabriel and the Spirit

Hello,

Before I comment on your article I do want to say that I enjoy reading your articles since it is obvious you try your best to allow the Quran speak for itself and are not afraid to buck tradition when necessary. However, it is precisely this reason that I was greatly disappointed with what you did here in your article: http://quransmessage.com/articles/gabriel%20FM3.htm

You quote Luke 1:26-34 and compare it with Q. 19:17-21 to establish your contention that Gabriel is the Holy Spirit. I am very disappointed that you conveniently did not quote Luke 1:35 which refutes your position since Gabriel clearly distinguishes and differentiates himself from the Holy Spirit who would come upon Mary in order to cause her to supernaturally conceive Jesus without any sexual intercourse:

"THE ANGEL SAID TO HER, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called Son of God.'" New Revised Standard Version

Since this verse follows immediately after verse 34 I find it hard to believe that you did not see it. Therefore, why did you omit this text which refutes your entire premise? Moreover, I think that the only honest thing you can do is to correct your article to accurately reflect what the context of Luke 1:26-35 says since it does not support your contention that Gabriel is the Holy Spirit or Spirit.

Offline Reader Comments

• View Profile
Re: Sam Shamoun (Islam Critic)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:10:04 PM »
Response from Joseph Islam

Sent: 07 May 2014 17:57
To: 'answeringmuhammad1 .'
Subject: RE: Your article on Gabriel and the Spirit

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind comments and feedback.

With respect to your mail, I only mentioned that there was 'an overlap of a narrative with the Quran which concerns Mary and where Gabriel is mentioned by name'. I did not claim that the Bible supported the Quran’s position in its entirety.

In fact, I quoted Luke 1:26 and highlighted 'angel Gabriel' which clearly shows that there was no intent to show complete support to the argument that Gabriel = Holy Spirit from a Biblical perspective which clearly speaks of Gabriel as an ‘angel’.

As you will note, before I quoted 19:17-21 of the Quran, I actually made it clear that in the Quran, one does 'not find any reference to an 'angel' in that narrative. This once again in my humble view, highlights the difference.

More importantly the synonymy of Gabriel with the Holy Spirit was elucidated with many Quranic references (2:97, 16:102 and 26:192-195).

Finally I made it absolutely clear that there was a difference between the Quranic and Biblical position by stating:

"This is 'possibly' with a view to depart from the Christian understanding that Gabriel was in fact an angel."

As you may already know, I have great respect for the Bible and have often ‘entered the fray’ (attempting to remain civil and courteous of course) with Muslim masses who I find at times show very little respect for the extant scripture of the people of the Book.

Here is one example of my perspective:

Lambasting the Bible:
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=146.msg370#msg370

I can only kindly suggest that notwithstanding some (or many) of the differences we ‘may’ have, that we attempt to reach common ground especially at a time, when misconceptions that oft lead to turmoil remain prevalent. I trust that you will appreciate this.

I hope that clarifies my position, God willing,

Regards,
Joseph

[minor edits and italic emphasis]