Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Surah An-Nazi'at

Offline erwin.ariadi

• View Profile
Surah An-Nazi'at
« on: January 20, 2015, 04:03:50 PM »
Salamun 'alaikum Br. Joseph,

I have a question regarding Surah An-Nazi'at. In my opinion, I don't think the term An-Nazi'at is talking about "Those Who Pull Out" (the souls), especially when we come to the verse 2 of that surah "Wan-nashitati nashta" which is interpreted as "By those who gently draw out (the souls of the blessed)", while in indonesian-arabic dictionary the word "nashta" means giat (active/energetic) or rajin (diligent). For me it is too far from its literal meaning.

However, the root "nun-za-ayn" has been used in Quran for several different context, for example in 4:59. Here Allah talks about "people in different oppinion / dispute". And in my opinion, this render of meaning is closer to the context given in surah An-Nazi'at.

Is my opinion correct? I'm waiting forward for your explanation and hopefully you could share your understanding in this matter.

Thank you.

Salam,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Surah An-Nazi'at
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:29:12 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam Erwin,

Albeit the same root, the Arabic word 'nazi'ah' (in verse 79:1) comes from the form of the verb 'naza'a' (form 1) which means to pluck, to draw, tear out or strip. The meaning to wrangle or dispute comes from a completely different verb form (3) 'nAza'a' or the verb form 6 (tanaza'a). If you look at the meanings of words in the Quran from the verb form 1 such as in verses 7:43, 7:108, 15:47, 3:26, 7:27 or 19:69, you'll see the meaning of strip, pluck or to draw out evidently apparent.

I hope that clarifies, God willing

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline erwin.ariadi

• View Profile
Re: Surah An-Nazi'at
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »
Thank you for your clarification.. :)