Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Is refusing cancer treatment suicide?

Offline Lobotomize94

• View Profile
Is refusing cancer treatment suicide?
« on: September 13, 2015, 06:48:48 AM »
I really do not want to suffer through chemotherapy and risk losing my cognitive functioning and muscular functioning. Chemo really destroys your body and your quality of life decreases after. I also secretly (deep down) hope to die, so I'm not sure if what I am doing is wrong in the sight of Allah.

Is it really obligatory for me to accept cancer treatment assuming I have the means to get treated (adequate health insurance)?

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is refusing cancer treatment suicide?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:21:39 PM »
Salaam,

I think that it depends on what stage the cancer is at and if there is a good chance that you can go into remission, then I think it is important that you have treatment as preserving life is important. Also with chemotherapy advancements nowadays, the side effects may not be as bad as they used to be. You may feel worse initially but will be better in the long term.

If though the outlook is very bleak and you only have months to live, then I do not see it being an issue for wanting to be free of medical treatments in the final stages of your life.