Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Boundaries of following Sunnah?

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
Boundaries of following Sunnah?
« on: March 08, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »
Sunnah means "example" of following the deen/religion. In short, technique/example of following the injunctions of Quran.

Is so called "sunnah" referred to only those injunctions of the Quran which is religious/worship related or everything else also can be included in this boundary?
“And no example do they bring to you but We bring to you the truth and the BEST TAFSEER (EXEGESIS).” 25:33

The best commentary of the Qur’an is the Qur’an itself!

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
Re: Boundaries of following Sunnah?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
Salaam Sstikstof,

there is no single agreed upon definition of Sunnah. Some individuals/sects say that whatever the Prophet (PBUH) said or did in private, or in public, is his Sunnah. Others say that whatever is in the books of hadith comprise the Sunnah. Still others say whatever the Prophet (PBUH) did in his capacity as a man/father/husband is not Sunnah; only the things which he did in his capacity as prophet/messenger comprise the Sunnah. It is, therefore,  safe to conclude that there are as many variations in the definition of Sunnah as there are sects and sub-sects in Islam. Each sect thinks its definition is the right one.

I, personally, believe the Quran to be sufficient enough for us as a guide. But I have no problem with people upholding the Sunnah of Muhammad (pbuh) provided that it:
1)Is not seen nor accepted as something 'Divinely appointed' in the name of God's ordained religion of Islam incumbent upon us all to uphold.
2)Provided that it does not in any way contradict the message of the Quran.

Offline Sstikstof

• Sstikstof
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 02:16:10 AM »
Salaam Sstikstof,

there is no single agreed upon definition of Sunnah. Some individuals/sects say that whatever the Prophet (PBUH) said or did in private, or in public, is his Sunnah. Others say that whatever is in the books of hadith comprise the Sunnah. Still others say whatever the Prophet (PBUH) did in his capacity as a man/father/husband is not Sunnah; only the things which he did in his capacity as prophet/messenger comprise the Sunnah. It is, therefore,  safe to conclude that there are as many variations in the definition of Sunnah as there are sects and sub-sects in Islam. Each sect thinks its definition is the right one.

I, personally, believe the Quran to be sufficient enough for us as a guide. But I have no problem with people upholding the Sunnah of Muhammad (pbuh) provided that it:
1)Is not seen nor accepted as something 'Divinely appointed' in the name of God's ordained religion of Islam incumbent upon us all to uphold.
2)Provided that it does not in any way contradict the message of the Quran.

I agree, I have analyzed this sunnah fact. In my opinion, It is just practical example of Quranic injunctions. So prophet Muhammad showed us the best examples/samples in his ways. That doesn't mean those examples/samples are religiously fixed to follow. Everybody have their own mode of following Quranic injunctions what suits them with circumstances presented before them. Modes with fixed form results horrible output for those circumstances.  For example, Quran says to go to makkah & do Hazz, now it is not possible to go there by foot or walking, which would be illogical. It will be individual's mode that how will he go makkah (by flying, car, taxi or by ship) which is called flexibility. Some people doesn't understand the flexibility provided by the Quran.
“And no example do they bring to you but We bring to you the truth and the BEST TAFSEER (EXEGESIS).” 25:33

The best commentary of the Qur’an is the Qur’an itself!

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 03:29:55 AM »
sunnah = way/method/precedent/example

It was not exclusive to prophet Muhammad, and nor does Quran use it in such a way. Like many words in Quran, it is an ordinary Arabic word with no religious meaning.

Only later did it develop its religious connotation.

This is how early muslims seemed to apply it:
http://mypercept.co.uk/articles/Rethinking_Tradition_Modern_Islamic_Thought.htm