Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Birth control/Family planning/Contraception (Birth spacing)

Offline Student

• View Profile
Salamun Alaykum,

From my limited knowledge, I see Quran expounds on the subject in few ayahs covering the matter:

...that you do not kill your children because of poverty — We will provide for you and them;...(6:151)
Hence, do not kill your children for fear of poverty: it is We who shall provide sustenance for them as well as for you. Verily, killing them is a great sin. (17:31)

In my humble view, we are in one of the two situations, either we're poor or we fear the poverty and regardless of one's financial condition the killing of the children is clearly prohibited. Now, the question is how does the pre-revelation Arabs (immediate 7th century audience of the above two commands) used to deal with their children (killing of children)? Is it referring perhaps to post birth killing?

And when the girl [who was] buried alive is asked (81:08)

If so, had pagans avail ultrasound facility back then would they still have restored to the inhuman (monstrous) method of burying female infant alive? or would they rather go for the abortion after knowing the baby's sex? How about the male infants, did they allow them to live (considering them an asset for the future)?

On the same subject, are the following ayahs not meant for purifying or setting right one's intention before the intimacy?

...Now you may have sexual intercourse with them and seek what Allah has written for you...(2:187)
...Your wives are your tilth; go, then, unto your tilth as you may desire, but first provide something for your souls, and remain conscious of God,...(2:223)

From the over all grand picture, is there still a scope for "Birth control/Family planning/Contraception (Birth spacing)" barring natural methods (refraining from intimacy during high productive cycle, perhaps the analogy of a farmer with the field in 2:223 is made just for this purpose also?)

I've read this http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=510.msg1661#msg1661 and I thought the discussion did not went down further covering the questions I've in my mind. Would like to know your esteem view on the matter as I've practical implication and seeking the answers in all sincerity (not just for the sake of knowledge)  :D.

Thanks and Jazak Allahu Khairan!
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Birth control/Family planning/Contraception (Birth spacing)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:00:12 AM »
Dear Student,

Wa alaikum assalam

With respect, your questions appear to be interlaced with hypothetical assertions and points of view. So that I may answer your question effectively, can I simply ask you to kindly read the summary responses that I have shared below and if needed, bullet point your pointed questions in number form so that I can address them directly in due course, God willing.

In summary the answers I can share are:

• Yes, it appears that verses are referring to killing children post birth
  • It can be argued that in the main, abortion is not permissible from a Quranic perspective, particularly after a certain point [1] and in the general spirit of the Quranic verses you have already shared. This is irrespective of the presence of ultrasound or not.

Regards,
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] A Question on Abortion
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=551
[2] Is weaning Period two years or thirty months? a contradiction in Quran?
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1701.0
[3] Family Planning
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=510.0
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »
Salaamun Alayka,
Brother Joseph,

Thank you so very much for addressing my query. I've read your views and all relevant articles and posts on the subject and I still feel it has room for misinterpretation and deriving (potentially dangerous and) wrong conclusion. Before I list down my questions I sense some misunderstanding in my asking so let me clarify that I'm on same page and in full agreement with your view on abortion being impermissible. There's no doubt in my mind nor do I've any questions on this sub topic. Kindly see my primary concern and dilemma which revolve around these:
  • 6:151 prohibits parents in (present) poverty who would otherwise kill, is it correct?
  • 17:31 prohibits parents fearing (future) poverty who would otherwise kill, is it correct?
  • So, isn't this covering the 2 extreme points the rich the poor and everyone in the middle?
  • Were those parents killed their children out of poverty and associated fear or is it for thrill kill?
  • If it's not for thrill, would they've still allowed childbirth and then kill or would they choose humane and safe birth control pills and procedures if they were to live now?
  • What would any young Muslim couple who limit the number of children to 2 or 3 at the most (generally) say if asked for primary reason?
  • If the reason given is cost of quality education, cost of quality of life (health, comforts and enjoyments) then does Quran allow such premise to control/plan family size?
  • If the reason given is hard work rearing more children then does Quran allow such premise to control/plan family size to take easy route and escape trial?
  • Does the word "Rizq" limited to food provisions only? Or Does it cover wide berth of meanings according to the Quran?
  • If these couples were to born at revelation time, would they have resorted to the same horrific method in absence of birth control methods?
  • Does the permanent and irreversible birth control methods such as implantation, sterilization, surgery not contravene the ayah 4:119?
  • Which of the methods listed on http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.html are within the permissible boundary drawn by the Quran?
  • What was naturally available to people since ancient times is still available then abandoning them without sacrificing pleasure and/or exerting self-control can we still use lame excuses in the light of spirit of Quran?
  • ...have sexual intercourse with them and seek what Allah has written for you...(2:187) "وَابْتَغُوا, seek" is alluding to what in the immediate context of the ayah?
  • Your wives are your tilth (2:223) you've noted in your article and other posts the beautiful analogy between husband and farmer both of whom desire beneficial produce. Which farmer would make his land barren and then still continue to seed and water it and hope and expect the crop not to grow?
  • One of the traditionally learned person gave me long ago a similitude which kind of engraved on my mind which is: If someone kills an innocent person outside the city or inside it or in his home will he not be charged for the murder and held liable for the punishment? Then how killer of a child after birth, during pregnancy (abortion) or at the conception (spermicide) is differently treated?
  • Allah swt has mentioned Aulad as a means of test "Fitna" then limiting it to manageable means in one's view is not compromising the spirit if not the letter of the Quran?
  • If in 2:187 وَابْتَغُوا مَا كَتَبَ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ means children (or provisions including children) He's written for all of us then why not trust Him completely and exercise Taqwa by exerting abstinence, self-control and sacrifice pleasure if one were to think he's not able to cope the burden?

Of course, all of the above is exception to women if pregnancy becomes life threatening not in their own view but assessed/warned/prescribed after thorough diagnosis by their gynecologist. Also, I think around 12:47 passage the state has authority/responsibility to plan and ensure it provides for its subjects so if a state (such as China) adopted and enforced birth control as state policy then I reckon individuals have no choice but to comply but then again we've other verse 4:97 guiding believers to migrate where observing religion becomes difficult.

Hope this gives you clear picture of subject I've in my mind and eagerly looking forward to your well-thought out and wise clarification, as I am expected of you - always  :D . I sincerely feel a comprehensive and dedicated article on the subject is dearly missing and I really hope you'll concur and bless me and all of your fans Inshallah with the gift :D
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 01:20:42 AM »
I don't know how/where to edit the posted message, so may I add:

19. What is the divine instruction/command to the people of the book on this subject in the previous scriptures?

Jazak Allahu Khairan!
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:38:55 AM »
Peace. Some people might refer to Genesis 38.
deleted

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 02:04:06 AM »
Salaamun Alayka,
Brother Joseph,

Thank you so very much for addressing my query. I've read your views and all relevant articles and posts on the subject and I still feel it has room for misinterpretation and deriving (potentially dangerous and) wrong conclusion. Before I list down my questions I sense some misunderstanding in my asking so let me clarify that I'm on same page and in full agreement with your view on abortion being impermissible. There's no doubt in my mind nor do I've any questions on this sub topic. Kindly see my primary concern and dilemma which revolve around these:
  • 6:151 prohibits parents in (present) poverty who would otherwise kill, is it correct?
  • 17:31 prohibits parents fearing (future) poverty who would otherwise kill, is it correct?
  • So, isn't this covering the 2 extreme points the rich the poor and everyone in the middle?
  • Were those parents killed their children out of poverty and associated fear or is it for thrill kill?
  • If it's not for thrill, would they've still allowed childbirth and then kill or would they choose humane and safe birth control pills and procedures if they were to live now?
  • What would any young Muslim couple who limit the number of children to 2 or 3 at the most (generally) say if asked for primary reason?
  • If the reason given is cost of quality education, cost of quality of life (health, comforts and enjoyments) then does Quran allow such premise to control/plan family size?
  • If the reason given is hard work rearing more children then does Quran allow such premise to control/plan family size to take easy route and escape trial?
  • Does the word "Rizq" limited to food provisions only? Or Does it cover wide berth of meanings according to the Quran?
  • If these couples were to born at revelation time, would they have resorted to the same horrific method in absence of birth control methods?
  • Does the permanent and irreversible birth control methods such as implantation, sterilization, surgery not contravene the ayah 4:119?
  • Which of the methods listed on http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/birth-control-methods.html are within the permissible boundary drawn by the Quran?
  • What was naturally available to people since ancient times is still available then abandoning them without sacrificing pleasure and/or exerting self-control can we still use lame excuses in the light of spirit of Quran?
  • ...have sexual intercourse with them and seek what Allah has written for you...(2:187) "وَابْتَغُوا, seek" is alluding to what in the immediate context of the ayah?
  • Your wives are your tilth (2:223) you've noted in your article and other posts the beautiful analogy between husband and farmer both of whom desire beneficial produce. Which farmer would make his land barren and then still continue to seed and water it and hope and expect the crop not to grow?
  • One of the traditionally learned person gave me long ago a similitude which kind of engraved on my mind which is: If someone kills an innocent person outside the city or inside it or in his home will he not be charged for the murder and held liable for the punishment? Then how killer of a child after birth, during pregnancy (abortion) or at the conception (spermicide) is differently treated?
  • Allah swt has mentioned Aulad as a means of test "Fitna" then limiting it to manageable means in one's view is not compromising the spirit if not the letter of the Quran?
  • If in 2:187 وَابْتَغُوا مَا كَتَبَ اللَّهُ لَكُمْ means children (or provisions including children) He's written for all of us then why not trust Him completely and exercise Taqwa by exerting abstinence, self-control and sacrifice pleasure if one were to think he's not able to cope the burden?

Of course, all of the above is exception to women if pregnancy becomes life threatening not in their own view but assessed/warned/prescribed after thorough diagnosis by their gynecologist. Also, I think around 12:47 passage the state has authority/responsibility to plan and ensure it provides for its subjects so if a state (such as China) adopted and enforced birth control as state policy then I reckon individuals have no choice but to comply but then again we've other verse 4:97 guiding believers to migrate where observing religion becomes difficult.

Hope this gives you clear picture of subject I've in my mind and eagerly looking forward to your well-thought out and wise clarification, as I am expected of you - always  :D . I sincerely feel a comprehensive and dedicated article on the subject is dearly missing and I really hope you'll concur and bless me and all of your fans Inshallah with the gift :D

Dear Student, 

As-salamu alaykum

So many of your questions are asking me to surmise what others may or may not have done in their particular situation and this is not a set of academic questions that I believe anyone can answer with certainty nor should be expected to.

I am not sure what your fundamental question is which is underpinning all the secondary questions you appear to have asked, therefore with respect, I will reserve input at this stage.

May I kindly request that in future you ask a few questions which remain at the gist of your enquiry.

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »
Walekumus salaam,
Dear Joseph sir,

My main concern is I do not find in my humble reading thus far Quran giving free license to married couple (believers) to plan and limit their family and I don't see this as a Quranic silence especially in the presence of verses such as: 6:151, 17:31, 4:119, 2:187, 2:223 revolving around the same subject matter. Do you agree? if not, why not?

Please point flaws in my approach (list of questions from earlier post is my dilemma) and I agree lot of them are hypothetical given the difficult topic but I thought Q1-4, Q11, Q12, Q14 are straight forward, aren't they?

Thank you very much and I hope you come back some time later to address and provide me with some relief with your analysis inshallah   :)

Jazak Allah Khair
Student
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 03:52:31 AM »
Dear Student, 

As-salamu alaykum

Verses 6:151 and 17:31 deal with actual murder. This has nothing to do with family planning.  It is clear that there was a practice where once a child was born; it was killed for fear of poverty and provision. There is also a hint that it was likely that the practice was against female / girls to some extent. This is supported by another verse where a girl child slain will ask on the Day of Judgement why she was buried alive (81:8-9) and one notes general grievance shown in another verse when a female child was born to certain parents (43:17). These are explicit verses.

Making use of a general verse such as 4:119 to support only a particular view is not cogent. In contrast, the central theological position must be unequivocally established from the Quran.

Verse 2.187 deals with a practice which allows conjugal relationships at a certain time during the month of fasting. It does not establish the reason for the approach. The Quran already establishes that simple lust can also be satisfied through wedlock. See verses 7:80 and 4:25.

004:025
“If any of you have not the means wherewith to wed free believing women, they may wed believing girls from among those whom your right hands possess: And God has full knowledge about your faith. Ye are one from another: Wed them with the leave of their owners, and give them their dowers, according to what is reasonable: They should be chaste, not lustful, nor taking paramours: when they are taken in wedlock, if they fall into shame, their punishment is half that for free women. This (permission) is for those among you who fear sin (liman khashiya-l'anata minkum); but it is better for you that ye practise self-restraint (wa-an tasbiru khayrun lakum). And God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.”

Note the expression 'liman khashiya-l'anata minkum' which is cited as a reason to marry. If one cannot marry believing girls, then marriage to those of the right hands possess was made permissible. ((This permission) is for those among you who fear sin). This in my view, clearly intends to stop one fulfilling sexual desires outside wedlock. The contrast being, that fulfilling lust within marriage is perfectly acceptable.

Regarding verse 2:223, although the analogy with a farmer is apt, the verse also does not restrict the reason of approach to one's partner. This is more than hinted in the expression ‘anna shi’tum’ (as you will / wish).

Therefore, the Quran deals with murder and it also hints that if one fears poverty or provision, then this should not stop one from conceiving children and giving birth as God will provide.

However, there can many other reasons why someone may not want to have children.

• A strong perception of or actual incapacity to be a parent that is responsible and not possessing the necessary temperament and patience to bring up and nurture a child or further children properly
  • A genuine dislike of children
  • A real lack of interest not related to poverty, personal desires or else
  • Even though one is able to procreate, advancing age, wellbeing or health reasons will severely put health at risk
  • A genuine fear of feelings of revulsion towards pregnancy or the experience of giving birth
  • Existing health issues which may include genetic disorders which places pregnancy and the child at serious risk and child bearing mother at potential harm

There could be a number of other reasons. The Quran is and remains silent on all these matters. Children are not only a blessing, but also a serious trial. Let us not forget verses such as 8:28 and 64:15.

"And know that your wealth and your children are a trial..." (8:28)
"Your children and your wealth are only a trial..." (64:15)

Further to the above, at times children will also become real enemies to their parents

"O you who believe! Indeed from among your spouses and your children there are enemies to you so beware of them..." (64:14)

Indeed God makes use of existing humans to create more humans which He will ultimately trial. However, if God wants to provide children to particular parents, circumstances will be created for this to happen. Nothing can overcome God’s will.

However, many couples also understand that bringing a child into this world is a life-long responsibility / commitment as a child matures through varies stages of life. This is simply not about poverty or other superficial desires such as careers etc, but may have other very real / serious considerations.

Finally, children are not the only means in which God will trial His servants. One can never seclude / protect themselves 'from trials' by making certain choices.

I hope this helps, God willing.

Regards,
Joseph
George Orwell

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 04:15:18 PM »
Walekumus salaam wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,
Dear Joseph,

Please accept my sincere apologies for not acknowledging your effort immediately in responding to my query. Thank you for your discussing the subject in more detail but somehow I'm not persuaded just about inasmuch as it with your other awesome scholarly work though I completely agree with your analysis that there's no categorical stance of Quran against family planning and health and other seriously genuine reasons are definite candidates for Allah's mercy however with utmost and immense respect (as a true student and you being exemplary teacher) I'm not convinced that 6:151 & 17:31 are just any murder - the context is children and murderers are parents and motive is fear of poverty and the underlying reason which Quran highlighted is increase of children otherwise Qatal and Fasad fil Ard (murders) in various forms have been duly addressed - I trust you will not disagree. So, now the pertinent question which can only be raised hypothetically to fill the 14 centuries gap in time and technology - leading up to and including Q#5

If it's not for thrill, would they've still allowed childbirth and then kill or would they choose humane and safe birth control pills and procedures if they were to live now?

I don't know or can't speak on behalf of others but most of my Muslim friends and even my own family relatives unfortunately limit the number of children to 2 and few max out at 3 and present all sorts of justification and explanation trying to hide the very same #1 and 2 reasons my non-Muslims friends candidly and instantly present #1 Financial burden and #2 Managing/Raising when I inquire them, almost all expressing their sentiment in unison: "I wish I was a millionaire", or "I wish I can afford that many children", or  "I don't know how you are able to manage that many, it's beyond me", etc., As you have already mentioned and agree that any excuse to cover the underlying primary reason of financial burden/affordability is clear violation of Quranic stand and command.

Quran is not explicit in this regard perhaps because the earlier scriptures dealt with the issue clearly I reckon (not from my own study or research but one of my amazing work place colleague is Catholic and has 8 children he never dated never drank alcohol and practice charity and worship services among other things, and I trust he gets these things from the Bible teachings) hence my Q#19 which I'm confident you can easily verify.

I feel there's still scope for misunderstanding on this touchy topic and so needs further clarification on some of the explanation you kindly provided (I truly appreciate it) but I don't want to drag the topic given your commitment and busy schedule unless you don't mind and spend some of your spare time to address it and with your kind permission I'll raise questions from your last explanatory post.

Thanks and Jazak Allah Khair!
Sincerely,
Student
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 05:28:04 PM »
Dear Student, 

As-salamu alaykum

I have respectfully shared my views on this topic as far as my understanding of the Quran's remit allows. I do not want to stipulate a position where the Quran is intentionally silent.

Please kindly accept my response as my last on this matter.

Regards,
Joseph
George Orwell

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 01:23:02 AM »
Walekumus Salaam,
Dear Sir,

I totally understand your consistent approach to the Quran for which I'm fan of your fabulous work and your reluctance to indulge in speculation in the absence of unequivocal prohibition, which I respect and honor too. But like I said my heart is not at peace and Inshallah my wife and I'll seek His sincere guidance before making arguably our major lifetime decision. May Allah swt guide us all and bestow on us true sincerity of heart.

Thank you so much and Jazak Allah khair for your time and help in zooming in on the subject.

Warm regards,
Student
Thanks,
~ Student