Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: What are Days of Allah in 14:5?

Offline Student

• View Profile
What are Days of Allah in 14:5?
« on: September 07, 2016, 03:40:35 PM »
What are بِأَيَّامِ اللَّهِ Days of Allah in 14:5?
Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: What are Days of Allah in 14:5?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 04:00:53 PM »
Dear Student

As-salamu alaykum

The next verses set the context 14:6-8 and imply a reference to the period of times where God has repeatedly shown His signs and His mercy.

This is then elaborated throughout the Quran in numerous verses. See for example, verses in 2:40-61.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 04:34:22 PM »
Walekumus Salaam,
Sir Joseph,

Mashallah, to my sweet and pleasant surprise I found my query answered almost instantly  :D Jazak Allah Khair. If I correctly understood after your hint then all important days spread across different months and perhaps across the years in Israelite's lives during or before Musa AS such as rescuing them from Firown and his drowning, duel day between Firown's magician and Musa AS and his victory, and perhaps major blessings bestowed upon them and infliction of punishment on their enemies on particular days are being referred to as "Days of Allah". This makes sense completely. Some traditionist however take them to mean first 10 days of Zil Hajja and some other pick 10th Muharram and other days, hence my query. Thank you so much for quick clarification.

Warm regards,
Student

Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 05:37:01 PM »
Dear Student

As-salamu alaykum

Yes that is my humble perspective.

I feel the best approach is to allow the Quran to provide its own context first. The immediate following verses provide that context and then there are references and narratives throughout the Quran as you have also suggested.

The simple question for the traditionalist view (whoever holds it) would be to provide proof from the Quran for that belief. There will be none.

This is why I always assert that the Quran must be allowed to provide its own context of which it has plenty for the intended guidance that underpins it.

I also wanted to respond to your query quickly so as to reassure you brother and that you don't ever feel that I ignore / forget your questions. This was a quick question to respond to so I did. Of course given the number of queries and emails I get dally (apart from my intense other commitments), I have to choose carefully what I can / want to respond to.

Rest assured I will always do my best to answer as many questions as I can (as always), God willing, but cannot promise to get to all.

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Student

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 03:42:18 PM »
Dear Sir Joseph,

Walekumus salaam,

Thank you so very much! Resting my hopes in Allah swt I'll continue pose the questions that I find difficult to understand/reconcile but that which hasn't been addressed by you.
Thanks,
~ Student