Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Are religious scholars better in the sight of God than ordinary muslims ?

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
As Salam Alaykum,

The Quran repeatedly says that those who are "Muhsineen" (righteous ) are given knowledge and wisdom. Does this mean that people of knowledge or religious scholars are better in the sight of God than ordinary muslims ? I mean apparently good scholars not scholars like those  of the people of the book who used to conceal and change the word of God.

[12:22]
And when  he (Prophet Joseph) reached his prime We gave him wisdom and knowledge. Thus We reward the good.

[28:14]
When he (Prophet Moses) reached full age, and was firmly established (in life), We bestowed on him wisdom and knowledge: for thus do We reward those who do good.

Regards,
Ahmad.

Offline ilker

• View Profile
Re: Are religious scholars better in the sight of God than ordinary muslims ?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:25:22 AM »
Wa alaykum selam

Let's combine those ayat with 2:269:

"Allah grants wisdom to whoever He wills. And whoever is granted wisdom is certainly blessed with a great privilege. But none will be mindful ˹of this˺ except people of reason."

Here, as far as i know, the phrase "man yashau" could also mean "who wishes" besides "to whom He wishes". That means, we all have our responsibilities to be righteous before Allah (swt) gives "wisdom" to us. In other words, if we want to get wisdom and knowledge, we must be one of the "Muhsineen (righteous)" inshaAllah. If we want to know how to be one of those precious slaves of Allah (swt), we have to read and study His book and reflect upon His ayats and think of them sincerely.

Allah(swt) knows best.

Take care inshaAllah.

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 05:55:12 AM »
Thank you for your answer.

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 03:13:19 PM »
Salaam
I'd like to ask a question regarding 12:22 and 28:14.
In these two verses Allah the almighty mentions both prophets were given wisdom and knowledge when they "came of full age ".  What is this age ? And are most average righteous believers given wisdom and knowledge about Allah the almighty at 40 plus ?

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 03:16:05 AM »
Salaam Miracle 114,

You make an interesting point about 40 being a mature age as the Quran actually mentions this in 46:15:

"......[He grows] until, when he reaches maturity and reaches [the age of] forty years, he says, "My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to work righteousness of which You will approve and make righteous for me my offspring. Indeed, I have repented to You, and indeed, I am of the Muslims."

It does make sense as by that time most of us would have grown wiser and have hindsight to look upon as we advance in years.