Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 7:158 and God asking mankind to follow the prophet for guidance.

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
Salaam all
Corpus Quran interprets I-nasu as mankind, others interpretations are people, men, humanity. The verse farther says he is a prophet to ALL and he (the prophet)  should be followed.
I am struggling to put this verse into context.
Are a group of followers at the time being asked to follow the prophet or is all of humanity being asked to follow the prophet?

Regards. Jzk

Offline ilker

• View Profile
Re: 7:158 and God asking mankind to follow the prophet for guidance.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:31:16 AM »
Wa alaykum salam brother :)

I personally believe that even if a random ayah refers to a particular group back in the day, if it's in the Quran, that means we can still extract the essence, the message or anything beautiful from that ayah.

Of course all of humanity are asked to follow the prophet. He doesn't need to be alive today to be followed. He followed the Quran, he always kept being nice and good mannered. He was one of the best examples of submission to one and only Creator. Of course we need to follow him, understand him, embrace and love him in order to have a good character in the eyes of Allah(swt).

I can't think the other way. From Quranic perspective, claiming that "We don't need to follow the prophet today" sounds dismissive and wrong.

We need to take heed of the keynotes of this ayah all the time:

"And when it is said to them: Come to what Allah has revealed and to the Messenger, you will see the hypocrites turning away from you with (utter) aversion." (4:61)

Allah(swt) included "the Messenger" in His ayah.

For example, although the prophet (pbuh) is not alive today, whenever something about him and his life is mentioned somewhere , some people (even some who claim to be Quranists) seem to run away from the discussion immediately.

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »
Peace Ilker,

"Believe in God and His Messenger, the gentile Prophet who believed in God and His words.  Follow Him, so that you may find guidance." 7:158

“The Messenger’s duty is only to deliver the message: Allah knows what you reveal and what you conceal.” (Qur’an 5:99)

"This  is sent down from the Lord of all the worlds. If [the Prophet] had said anything against Us, We would certainly have seized his right hand and cut off his artery, and none of you could have defended him." (Qur'an 69:43-47)

“This Book has been sent down to you (Prophet) – let there be no anxiety in your heart about it – so that you may use it to give warning and to remind the believers: ‘Follow what has been sent down to you from your Lord, (the Qur'an)! Do not follow other masters beside Him. How seldom you take heed!’ ” (Qur’an 7:2) 

Thus, the Prophet never issued any teaching that violates the Qur'an. Following the Prophet is following the Quranic teaching.  Prophet is no longer with us but we have the Quran he delivered.  Following the Quran is now obeying both God and the prophet.  How else are you going to follow him if not with the Quran?

Hope
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Athman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:11:43 PM »
Salaamun Aleikum,

Dear Br. HOPE,

Respectfully, I think your perspective is just same as Br. ilker’s on the subject, as well as is mine. To quote his statement above, he said:

“Of course all of humanity are asked to follow the prophet. He doesn't need to be alive today to be followed. He followed the Quran...”

As I understand from his statement, believers are taught from the Qur’an to generally follow the Prophet, by way of the authoritative Qur’an. As for those believers contemporary to his time, he was a living exemplar (notwithstanding the prevailing Qur’an in their midst) among them, as had been any of the past prophets/messengers to their Ummah. With us today, we can only follow the Qur’an, in essence, similarly following the Prophet as did those believers during the Prophet’s time, and as you put it, obeying Allah and the Prophet.

From my understanding of his respectful input, I don’t think Br. ilker was in any way referring to something else apart from the Qur’an where we are meant to extract truth regarding emulation of the Prophet’s way of spiritual life.

Thanks.

Regards,

Athman.

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:43:36 AM »
Salamun alaykum all :)

Alhamdulillah. Thanks for your comments brothers Hope and Athman :)

Br. Athman thanks so much for your comment on my post and thanks for clearing it up :)

Take care inshaAllah.

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 04:34:04 PM »
Salaam all.
Jzk. Agree to all, follow prophet (now) could be interpreted as follow his source/authority  "the Quran" and to his followers be a living example.
I don't however concur with love for the prophet/prophets of God. Any emotions evoked are for Allah alone and quite possibly love from interactions with close offspring, spouse, close family/friends etc.

Kind regards

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 09:36:48 AM »
Salam brother miracle114,

What about these ayat:

"Say, [O Muhammad], "If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your relatives, wealth which you have obtained, commerce wherein you fear decline, and dwellings with which you are pleased are more beloved to you than Allah and His Messenger and jihad in His cause, then wait until Allah executes His command. And Allah does not guide the defiantly disobedient people."" (9:24)

"The Prophet is more worthy of the believers than themselves, and his wives are [in the position of] their mothers. And those of [blood] relationship are more entitled [to inheritance] in the decree of Allah than the [other] believers and the emigrants, except that you may do to your close associates a kindness [through bequest]. That was in the Book inscribed." (33:6)

"There has certainly come to you a Messenger from among yourselves. Grievous to him is what you suffer; [he is] concerned over you and to the believers is kind and merciful." (9:128)

How come you don't concur with love for the prophet/prophets of Allah(swt) who were great examples for humanity, chosen by Allah (swt) the most merciful, with all the moral attributes you would seek around you in your normal life ? Wouldn't you like somebody who tells you the truth all the time, helps and tries his best for you to stay on the right path to Allah (swt) and for you to learn its ways ?

"Grievous to him is what you suffer; [he is] concerned over you and to the believers is kind and merciful."

Wouldn't you love your brother ?

"The believers are but brothers, so make settlement between your brothers. And fear Allah that you may receive mercy." (49:10)

Take care inshaAllah.

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 05:14:56 PM »
Salaam ilker
Jzk. I see your point with referenced verses.
I believe 9:24 if read in context tallking to the prophets followers at the time.
With 33:6, if read in context "the prophet is closer/more protective /stronger affinity / more worthy of the believers"  at the time of the prophet's life. To include yourself and myself amongst those believers spoken about at the time would either mean we were present at the time or the prophet is present now amongst us. I could be way off target here but this is my view and I would humbly appreciate others views as I do yours.
9:128 if read in context and within the frame of reference and time is very similar to the above highlighted verses.
Had I been amongst the prophets followers and Allah had willed it I might have had more love the prophet/prophets than my family and worldly possessions.
Without being judgemental, my local masjid core speakers have an immense love for the prophet and spend 90% of their time praising him.
My love is for Allah the Almighty alone and if it is his will Insha Allah that I am to experience a love for a prophet/prophets then so be it.
49:10 I 100% agree with.

Jzk and peace

Offline Athman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 08:51:35 PM »
Dear Br. miracle114,

Salaamun Aleikum,

It is clear from the context of 9:24 that the believers were not to take as allies those among their fathers and brothers who preferred disbelief to belief (9:23) lest they themselves become wrongdoers (dhwalimun). This would, in my humble opinion, imply that except those family folk that insist on disbelief, at the very worst, one’s family members still hold a higher value with regards to individual responsibility, especially in the context of 33:6.

This is in no way abrogated by the fact that a true believer’s love for Allah automatically overrides love for any other besides Him (2:165). However, so that this is sincerely practically manifest, we ought to adhere to the Prophet’s teachings, 3:31. This could honestly be by way of beseeching the Qur’an for the same as stated in my earlier response, quoted below:

'With us today, we can only follow the Qur’an, in essence, similarly following the Prophet as did those believers during the Prophet’s time, and as you put it, obeying Allah and the Prophet.’

In my humble opinion, to insist that love emotions should only be meant for Allah [Prophet(s) exclusive] and some closely related folk, like one’s family, is unwarranted. That the love for the Prophet (tied together with that of Allah and His Cause) in 9:24 was just meant to be exercised by those believers contemporaneous to the Prophet is not an explicit directive to rule out. Just because we were not present during those times or that the Prophet isn’t in our midst doesn’t mean that we are not to love the Prophet by honoring his Qur’anic teachings from Allah, upholding his high moral character as depicted by the Qur’an or follow him by way of the Qur’an so that Allah can suffice us, 8:64.

Truth when realized, comes with it a great responsibility of upholding. Being conscious of this at the very best would actually exquisitely make a believer appreciate the exclusive role of firstly prioritizing the truth with which Islam comes with hence upholding that truth through obeying Allah and the Prophet, in such a manner explained above, be it against oneself, parents, etc.,4:135. It is in such a context of understanding at which the idea of the love of Allah and the Prophet overriding all can be acknowledged.

Thus, in my humble opinion, the love, in purpose (in the absolute sense), for Allah, the Prophet and Allah’s Cause (9:24), comes first. This is irrespective of the time in which a believer lives, contemporary or non-contemporary to the Prophet’s time.

On one hand, a responsibility is tied to one towards their family. On the other, relative love emotions are evoked with respect to some field of concern. Interpreting such evoked emotions and subjecting them to a restrictive context of Allah alone and somehow kinfolk would just sound inconclusive. Rather, the love for the Prophet is just interpreted in the manner of that for Allah, and that for His Cause, that is, absolutely in purpose, upholding the Qur’anic truth. This should however not be confused with 2:165, for the exclusive love for Allah translates to love for the Prophet (following his teachings from the Qur’an) and love for striving in His Cause.

On the whole, trying to exempt oneself from the idea of having love for the prophet(s) and that one could only possibly exercise some love for him/them if they were contemporaneous to the prophet(s)’s time(s) would just sound dismissive.

Those are my thoughts Insha Allah.

I hope that somehow helps God willing.

Regards,

Athman.

Offline miracle114

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 06:40:57 AM »
Salaam Jzk Athman
All your views greatly appreciated.  :)

Jzk and kind regards
 :)

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 04:19:17 AM »
salamun alaykum brothers and sisters...

MashaAllah subhanAllah very nice explanation Br. Athman !

Alhamdulillah !

By the way thanks Br. miracle114 for being open-minded and nice :)

JZK

Take care inshaAllah.

Offline Athman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 09:55:26 PM »
Waalaikum as salaam,

Dear Br. miracle114,

I do appreciate your wishing for me the best. Thanks for the kind appreciation.

Dear Br. ilker,

Am humbled that my thoughts were somehow of some help to you. Thanks for your comments.

May Allah increase us all in knowledge Insha Allah.

Regards,

Athmani.