Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 39:6 - cattles sent down?

Offline Student

• View Profile
39:6 - cattles sent down?
« on: August 07, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »
Salaamun Alaykum,

I was kind of surprised to read (careless in paying attention before) the cattles were sent (Anzala) down for us? Some translate Anzala as "gave", "created", "made" etc and most keep it loyal to the text "Sent down". I didn't find Sir Joseph discussing this in the forum as no one seems to raise this curiosity??

And what's up with the number 8? Any particular reason, clue?

Looking forward to hear your insights into this part of the ayah.

Thanks,
~ Student

Offline ahmad

• View Profile
Re: 39:6 - cattles sent down?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »
Dear Student,

The number 8 seems to be referring to the livestock mentioned in [6:143], [6:144]. (According to some Tafsirs). However I have not yet fully grasped the incident that the verse is addressing.

[6:143]
[They are] eight mates - of the sheep, two and of the goats, two. Say, "Is it the two males He has forbidden or the two females or that which the wombs of the two females contain? Inform me with knowledge, if you should be truthful."

[6:144]
And of the camels, two and of the cattle, two. Say, "Is it the two males He has forbidden or the two females or that which the wombs of the two females contain? Or were you witnesses when Allah charged you with this? Then who is more unjust than one who invents a lie about Allah to mislead the people by [something] other than knowledge? Indeed, Allah does not guide the wrongdoing people."

The Term "Anzala" (sent down) is also used in the following verses:

[7:26]
‘O Children of Adam! We have certainly sent down to you garments to cover your nakedness, and for adornment. Yet the garment of Godwariness—that is the best.’ That is [one] of Allah’s signs, so that they may take admonition.

[48:4]
It is He who sent down tranquillity into the hearts of the believers that they would increase in faith along with their [present] faith. And to Allah belong the soldiers of the heavens and the earth, and ever is Allah Knowing and Wise.

[57:25]
We have already sent Our messengers with clear evidences and sent down with them the Scripture and the balance that the people may maintain [their affairs] in justice. And We sent down iron, wherein is great military might and benefits for the people, and so that Allah may make evident those who support Him and His messengers unseen. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might.

In my humble opinion the term may mean literally sent down. For example when God talks about sending down guidance or water from the sky. But It can also mean "bestowment" as in the example of clothing and tranquility. Some argue that term Anzal was used for Iron because it was literally sent down from outer space.

Regards,
Ahmad.