Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Spend Money (For Charity, Festival or Feed the Poor) For Sake of Dead Person

Offline Beyond Tradition

• View Profile
Dear Brother Joseph ,
Salamun Alaikum . It is very commonly seen that we many Muslim spend money for sake of  the dead persons like for one's father or relatives  . This money is spent for charity , or  reform mosque , or  feeding poor , or festival among the relatives and neighbors so that departed soul stay in peace in the grave ( Quran not mentioned for the punishment in the grave )  or accountability of the dead person will be easy to God in the day of Judgement .  Per my knowledge Quran's only allow to pray for the dead ( janaja salah ) .  My question is there any explicit verse or verses to approve this kind of practice when all the spent for sake of dead persons can change the fate of the dead person in the Day of judgement ? If time permit you pls put your thought .

Thank you .

Offline QM Moderators Team

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dear Beyond Tradition.

Can you please ensure that in future - you do not write your SUBJECT in CAPS. We have normalised the CAPS for now but please remember this for the future please.

Thanks.

Offline Beyond Tradition

• View Profile
i must follow this rule.

Offline Athman

• View Profile
Dear ‘Beyond Tradition,’

Peace,

The following is an excerpt from Br. Joseph’s response to a similar query asked of him.

I have an article dealing with praying for the dead below which I would like to share. However, I find no warrant from the Quran for the concept of doing charitable deeds on 'behalf' of the dead with a view to benefit them. A soul is responsible only for their own deeds (6:164) and their own earthly efforts rendered (53:39). We can neither benefit them nor harm them once they have passed away. [1]

Hopefully it helps.

Regards,
Athman.

REFERENCE:
[1]. Will praying for the dead help them?

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=121.0