Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Sura al Qasas

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
Sura al Qasas
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:22:38 PM »
Salam
another question about the same Sura al Qasas. We see 28.07 - 28.50 only speaks of the story of Moses.

44.   And you were not on the western side when We revealed to Musa the commandment, and you were not among the witnesses;

45.   But We raised up generations, then life became prolonged to them; and you were not dwelling among the people of Madyan, reciting to them Our communications, but We were the senders.

46.   And you were not on this side of the mountain when We called, but a mercy from your Lord that you may warn a people to whom no warner came before you, that they may be mindful.

in 28. 28 Prophet Muhammad is mentioned 28.44 that he was not at thewestern side (from the TUR?), and then directly that he was not with the people of Madyan, and the messages they would have brought about. In the Tafseer of Asad is declared that this is a note to Shuaib, but is this  really the case?The whole Sura is about Musa. And Musa  has lived in Madyan. Would mean that Muses had preached in Madyan too? Thanks for your help.SAlam :)

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Sura al Qasas
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
Salamun Alaikum.

There is overlap here.

Before Prophet Moses came to a place called Madyan (28:22-23), this was already a place which had history. Prophet Shoaib had already been sent there as a messenger at some time in its past.

So the common element is the location 'Madyan' which is not only common to Prophet Moses's story but also to Prophet Shoaib.

When the Quran says "and you were not dwelling among the people of Madyan, reciting to them Our communications, but We were the senders", this is most likely a reference to the messenger that was sent (i.e. Shoaib) to a particular people.

The Quran uses the common place 'Madyan' to not only connect with Prophet Moses's story but also captures an underlying message that it has always been God that has sent 'messages / messengers' as he did with Prophet Muhammad by connecting it to another Quranic story (i.e. Prophet Shoaib and his people).

I have always found this a beautiful aspect of the Quran where various stories are often referenced together and the message repeated in various ways to portray a central message.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline chadiga

• View Profile
Re: Sura al Qasas
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »

UPDATE BY QM FORUM MODERATOR

13th March 2013

This thread is now closed and a direct link to this post is now available at the dedicated Q&A page.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/q&as%20FM3.htm

Thanks.