Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Verse 33:69

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
Verse 33:69
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »

Peace to all,

33:69  Believers, do not behave like those who slandered Moses. God cleared him of their allegations. He was honourable in the sight of God.

Ya ayyuha allatheena amanoo la takoonoo kaallatheena athaw moosa fabarraahu Allahu mimma qaloo wakana AAinda Allahi wajeehan

Athaw  has been variously translated as [wronged, harassed, abused, annoyed, insulted, distressed, troubled, slandered]

Why was Moses slandered/troubled/annoyed?  Do we know how to behave?

According to Bukhari Volume 4, Book 55, Number 616 as narrated by Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle said, "(The Prophet) Moses was a shy person and used to cover his body completely because of his extensive shyness. One of the children of Israel hurt him by saying, 'He covers his body in this way only because of some defect in his skin, either leprosy or scrotal hernia, or he has some other defect.' Allah wished to clear Moses of what they said about him, so one day while Moses was in seclusion, he took off his clothes and put them on a stone and started taking a bath. When he had finished the bath, he moved towards his clothes so as to take them, but the stone took his clothes and fled; Moses picked up his stick and ran after the stone saying, 'O stone! Give me my garment!' Till he reached a group of Bani Israel who saw him naked then, and found him the best of what Allah had created, and Allah cleared him of what they had accused him of. The stone stopped there and Moses took and put his garment on and started hitting the stone with his stick. By Allah, the stone still has some traces of the hitting, three, four or five marks. This was what Allah refers to in His Saying:-- "O you who believe! Be you not like those Who annoyed Moses, But Allah proved his innocence of that which they alleged, And he was honorable In Allah's Sight." (33.69)

Quran story:

61:5  Remember when Moses said to his people, O my people, why do you cause me grief when you know that I am Gods Messenger to you? When they wavered, God let their hearts waver too. God does not guide transgressors.

7:138  We brought the children of Israel across the sea and they came upon a people who were devoted to their idols. They said, Moses, give us a god just like the gods these people have. He said, You are indeed an ignorant people:

20:83  [When Moses was upon the Mount, God said,] O Moses, why have you come with such haste from your people?

20:84  He said, They are following in my footsteps, while I have hastened to You, my Lord, to please You.

20:85  But God said, We have tested your people in your absence. The Samiri has led them astray.

20:86  Moses returned to his people in anger and great sorrow. He said, My people, did your Lord not make you a handsome promise? Was my absence too long for you? Did you desire that your Lords wrath should descend upon you, when you broke your promise to me?

20:87  They answered, We did not break our promise to you of our own accord, but we had to carry loads of the peoples ornaments and so we threw them [into the fire] for that was what the Samiri suggested,

20:88  then he forged a calf for the men an image producing a lowing sound. They said, This is your deity, the deity of Moses; he has forgotten it.

02:55  Remember when you said, Moses, we will not believe in you until we see God with our own eyes, a thunderbolt struck you while you were looking on.

07:148   In his absence, the people of Moses made a calf from their ornaments, an image which made a lowing sound. Could they not see that it did not speak to them or guide them in any way? Yet they took to worshipping it: they were evil-doers.

07:149  When they were afflicted with remorse, and realized that they had indeed gone astray, they said, If our Lord does not have mercy on us and forgive us, we shall be among the lost.

07:150  When Moses returned to his people in anger and great sorrow, he said, What an awful sin you have committed in my absence. Did you want to hasten your Lords command? He threw down the Tablets and seized his brother by the head, pulling him towards himself. Aaron said, Son of my mother, the people oppressed me and almost killed me. Do not give my enemies cause to gloat over me. Do not number me among the wrongdoers.

07:151  He said, My Lord, forgive me and my brother and admit us to Your mercy. You are the Most Merciful of the merciful.

02:61  When you said, Moses, we cannot bear to eat only one kind of food, so pray to your Lord to bring forth for us some of the earths produce, its herbs and cucumbers, its garlic, lentils, and onions. He said, Would you take a lesser thing in exchange for what is better? Go to some town and there you will find all that you demand. Abasement and destitution were stamped upon them, and they incurred the wrath of God, for having rejected His signs, and they killed His prophets unjustly, because they were rebels and transgressors.

05:21  O my people! Enter the holy land which God has assigned for you. Do not turn back, or you will be the losers.

05:22  They said, Moses, in that land there is a powerful people. Never shall we enter it until they leave it: if they leave, then we shall certainly enter it.

05:23  Thereupon two God-fearing men whom God had blessed said, Go into them through the gate for as soon as you enter, you shall surely be victorious! Put your trust in God if you are true believers.

05:24  They said, We will never enter it, Moses, as long as they are there. Go, you and your Lord, and fight, and we will stay here.

05:25  Moses supplicated, Lord, I have power over none but myself and my brother; so separate us from the disobedient people.

05:26  God said, The land is forbidden to them for forty years, while they wander around the earth, bewildered; do not grieve over these wicked people.

"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Verse 33:69
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:43:27 AM »
Salaam and welcome to the forum  :)

The reference in the verse suggests that the people slandered prophet Moses ( pbuh) as it states that God cleared prophet Moses of their allegations.

I think that the clue is in verse 20.88 when the people start to worship the calf and state that it is the God of Moses and he has forgotten!

That is a heinous accusation as they know that he worships an unseen God and has always preached it.

Of course their behaviour towards him also gave him much grief because they hassled him as can also be seen from the verses that you posted.

Thanks.

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
Re: Verse 33:69
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:24:29 AM »
Salam,

Thank you for the welcome,

I agree with you on pinpointing verse 20:88 for the slander part.  I was not finished yet, had to recap, when I accidentally hit the post button.  I was a complete novice.  I am learning.

Peace
"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"