Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 9:59 ? What will be the most exact translation of this verse ?

Offline Adil Husain

• View Profile
9:59 ? What will be the most exact translation of this verse ?
« on: September 08, 2012, 04:47:58 AM »
Salamun alaikum All

Yusuf Ali -
If only they had been content with what Allah and His Messenger gave them, and had said, "Sufficient unto us is Allah! Allah and His Messenger will soon give us of His bounty: to Allah do we turn our hopes!" (that would have been the right course).

Pickthall-
(How much more seemly) had they been content with that which Allah and His messenger had given them and had said: Allah sufficeth us. Allah will give us of His bounty, and (also) His messenger. Unto Allah we are suppliants.

Abdel Haleem-
If only they would be content with what God and His Messenger have given them, and say, ‘God is enough for us- He will give us some of His bounty and so will His Messenger- to God alone we turn in hope.’

http://corpus.quran.com/wordbyword.jsp?chapter=9&verse=59

http://www.islamawakened.com/quran/9/59/default.htm

Please Explain me Does it means  '' Allah and his messenger will give us bounty'' or ''Allah will give us bounty , and his messenger'' ?

If it means Allah and his messenger will give us bounty , Can it be used to explain that ''Obey Allah and Abey messenger'' does not mean 2 different Sources ?
'I must strive for reformation of myself and the world'

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 9:59 ? What will be the most exact translation of this verse ?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
Salaam,

This verse is regarding distribution of 'sadiqa'. In the preceding verse we read that some people were not happy when the prophet gave them nothing from the charity pool.In the verse after, the people who are to receive the distribution, the needy in society, are listed.

My understanding is that God will give them bounty through the prophet in connection to the sadiqa distribution. The prophet carries out God 's commands as always and this ties in with ' Obey Allah and His messenger'