Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Surah Lahab and Blasphemy

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Surah Lahab and Blasphemy
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:28:50 AM »
Question asked on Joseph Islam's Facebook Account

Asalam u Alakum! I have to ask about the translation of surah Lahab, and the story of Abu Lahab, and also if could enlighten on the issue of blaspheme in the context of this surah as some Quranists refer to it and use it to prove that Allah cursed him for blaspheme...

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Surah Lahab and Blasphemy
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:34:56 AM »
Walaikum salaam.

There is no mention of ‘blasphemy’ in the Surah regarding 'Abu Lahab'. I am somewhat surprised to learn that 'Quranists' make use of such inferences and stories when they generally disregard secondary source narratives altogether.

Not withstanding any generic wisdom that can be extracted from the verse, it is clear that the narrative is very context specific and the details would be known to the addressees but to which the Quran did not consider elaborating for all humanity. God does not run out of words (31:27) and if the details were absolutely necessary for mankind's guidance, they would have arguably been narrated.

This would be no different from the context driven narrative of Surah Quraish (106:1-4)

I'd like to share a somewhat related article for your perusal, God willing.

UNKNOWN TOWNS AND NAMES - WHY FILL IN THE GAPS?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/unknown%20towns%20and%20names%20FM3.htm

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.

UPDATE BY QM FORUM MODERATOR

13th March 2013

This thread is now closed and a direct link to this post is now available at the dedicated Q&A page.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/q&as%20FM3.htm

Thanks.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell