Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 4:119 , circumcision and benefits of Genetic engineering for humanity.

Offline Adil Husain

• View Profile
Salamun alaikum Joseph islam and others ,

4:119
"I will mislead them, and I will create in them false desires; I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and to deface the (fair) nature created by God........"

I have read your article about circumcision but have some doubts.

Can we use verse 4:119 while explaining that circumcision is not a part of islam ?
We know that now a days  better products are been produced by Genetic engineering , the 'natural' DNA content of micro organisms are 'altered' to get the desired product for the benefit of humanity.
Some examples are : human insulin (from modified bacteria) used by diabetics , improved drugs , plants/crops which gives more yield and are more resistant , etc
Old examples are production of mule from horse and donkey , castraction of ox , etc

From Quran , is Genetic engineering allowed ?
'I must strive for reformation of myself and the world'

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: 4:119 , circumcision and benefits of Genetic engineering for humanity.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:16:18 AM »
Peace brother Adil,

Verse 4:119 is not cited as central evidence against circumcision. It is one of three verses including in the final thoughts of the article to show that Satan has in his remit the ability to create false desires without any warrant.

The fact that the practice of circumcision for males and females as 'religious decree' has absolutely no explicit or implicit support in the Quran is in my humble opinion,  sufficient warrant for it not to be considered part of God ordained religion for believers. If it is practiced, it is practiced out of choice.

With regards your second related question, there are necessary developmental needs within the ambit of medicine and general science where such methodologies are advantageous to humans. Such a restrictive reading of verse 4:119 would stand in conflict with simple matters such as curative surgery and disease control. If one takes lean from the general sentiment / wisdom of verse 13:17 and the phrase "wa amma ma yanfa'u 'nasa fayamkuthu fil'ard" (and as for what benefits humans remains in the earth) one can easily posit support for the advancement of ethical methodologies which humans can muster as resources from the planet which has benefits for mankind.

Of course there are ethical objections one can raise with such technological advancements such as the use of biological warfare etc, but as with anything, humans have the potential to make use of resources for good and evil. This has even been alluded to in the Quran.

These choices will be accounted for.

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph.

UPDATE BY QM FORUM MODERATOR

13th March 2013

This thread is now closed and a direct link to this post is now available at the dedicated Q&A page.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/q&as%20FM3.htm

Thanks.

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell