Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Pre-islamic arabia and the influence of hindhuism

Offline adam

• View Profile
Pre-islamic arabia and the influence of hindhuism
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »
Peace be upon you all,

I was wondering if anyone has came across some stories of the arab land being influenced by hindhus before the coming of islam? I have researched and read that King Vikramaditya did rule the arabic land especially mecca. and there are sanskrit inscribed into the kaaba's walls. a golden dish in the kaaba that has lord shiva's name( not sure if it is still there) and that the hajar aswad is the "shiva lingam" hindhus revere.

there are similarities carried out during the hajj and typical hindhu pilgrimage. Circambulating around their deities/kaaba 7 times. the shaving of the head. and the white garments.

there is more told about this and can be found by just googling islam and hindhu in a sentence. but i dont know what to make of this.

obviously, i dont find the way hajj which is carried out today to be legit. i figure, there are elements of  paganism, idol worship. (kissing of the black stone, throwing of rock to the devil etc.)

point is, does anyone find the ways the arabs carry out their islamic duties to be a bit similar to hindhus? and is there any legitimate factual study on arabia being ruled by a hindhu king before?

do share your opinions

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Pre-islamic arabia and the influence of hindhuism
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 01:12:50 AM »
As per Quran the non believers used to do  clapping around the Ka'aba which was their prayers.It is also told that there were 360 idols in Ka'aba one of them was a Hindu deity. But  historians do not appear to have mentioned about any ruler of Arabia being Hindu. Hindu Lingam is a particular shape of stone but not like Hajre Aswad ( Black Stone) therefore one can not say that it is Hindu stone.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline adam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:15:05 AM »
Thanks dear sardar

your reply is much appreciated.

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 04:45:44 AM »
Salaam.

The spirit of Hajj is the legacy of Prophet Abraham. Outward rituals devoid of the spirit do not count.

The black stone is not mentioned in Al Qur'an, let alone kissing it.

Similar is the fate of throwing stones (purportedly) at the devil.

The dress code in vogue is not mentioned in the Qur'an.

Even the meaning of circumambulation is disputed. For, the word considered to mean going round seven times, also means simply going about, like a tourist goes about an ancient site.

This meaning is all the more evident when we see that the Qur'an actually asks us to go about the ancient house - Al Baith Al 'Atheeq  (22:29)

Sardar Mian,

Whistling and clapping in worship was done by the pagans in Muhammed's time. (8:35)

The number of idols is not mentioned in Al Qur'an.

Hindu lingam doesn't have a particular shape. Look at the photos of famous lingams in Wikipedia.

Historically, hajreaswad was snatched away by a Muslim ruler in a raid, and broken to pieces. The stone that is seen today is said to be the broken thing plastered together!

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 12:59:51 AM »
Hindu Lingam is Egg shape which indicates the power of creation ( Male & Female) i am from India & I know this Lingam is symbol or procreation.I said nonbelivers used to do their prayers by clapping around the Kaaba.It said there were 360 Idols though it is not in Quran.In my opinion kissing Hajre Aswad is not right

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 02:16:31 AM »
Salaam.

I too am an Indian. I have several Lingayath friends. Instead of asking them, I browsed the Net and found, as in my last post: Hindu lingam doesn't have a particular shape. Look at the photos of famous lingams in Wikipedia.

Once, several years ago I had occasion to talk to an accomplished elderly Lingayath regarding religion.

He was emphatic that his religion is Monotheistic. He had several pictures of Hindu deities all around him. When I questioned him regarding all that, he said, all that is mere show.

He also said that they keep a somewhat oval shaped (?) stone on the palm of their hand during their daily morning prayers. And that it symbolizes the fact that we should consider the whole world and pray for all the world. He added that we should not be selfish and pray only for selfish ends.

The black stone is not mentioned in Al Qur'an.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait.

Offline adam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »
Thank you Borthers Ismail and Sadar,

Your replies are very informative, i am looking at possible influences from hindhuism into the typical islamic  haj ritual.

Many of us are aware that the way the pilgrimage is carried out is utter nonsense and holds no merit if filtered through the quran hence why there might be external influences with. and with mecca blossoming into a huge modernized city, i cant help but wonder why muslims should be burdened to spend ten's of thousands of their money and be put on to a waiting list of 20 to 30 years to carry out what God has commanded?

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 06:57:58 AM »
Please don't see the Haj Rituals but Hajj is prescribed for International meeting of people to resolve the International issues.