Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 49:3

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
49:3
« on: August 22, 2013, 06:15:34 AM »
Peace to all,

Since Quran is a guidance for the muttaqeen, it lists several characteristics of theirs in many verses.  One of them is in verse 49:3 where the hearts of those who lower their voices in the presence of the Prophet are tested for taqwa. 

The Muslim scholars say that it is forbidden to raise voices at the prophet's grave just like it was forbidden when he was alive, because he is highly respected whether he is alive or dead.  Do you agree with this explanation?

How can I adopt this attitude  in my life now other than the gravesite?  Does this also cover the attitude of those who take it to themselves to protect the honor of the Prophet by causing uproar in the world and shed blood?

"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 49:3
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:33 AM »
Salaam,

It is more becoming to keep a lower tone in the presence of people of authority.

It follows that we should extend this etiquette to graveyards out of respect for the dead. Shouting and talking loudly seems disrespectful when you are next to a grave. This should be for all the dead of course.

Adopting this attitude elsewhere would mean that you would try to conduct yourself in a similar manner on a day to day basis. That is,by keeping a medium tone in speech. Even prophet Luqman advised his son that he should lower his voice when speaking, saying that :

"Verily the harshest of voices is that of an ass" (31:19)

Obviously this was his personal opinion but he was advising his son of good things and we should always try to do what is better

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 08:52:53 AM »
No aproar or Blood shed but a peaceful expression of displeasure on any insult metted out on our beloved Prophet which does not fall into  catgeory of loud talk or bad behavior.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline HOPE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »
Peace,

Thanks for the reply sister.  I was looking for the Quranic examples of taqwa where the derivatives of the word is used in the example.  Luqman's advice of moderation in walking and voice emphasizes arrogance. 

I guess it will suffice since from a sufi perspective in order to act on taqwa, one must abstain from all those that displeases God and arrogance tops the list.  Taqwa is such an umbrella term that can apply to unlimited situations.

"Hope is like a bird that senses the dawn and carefully starts to sing while it is still dark"