Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Did Prophet Receive Revelations Outside the Quran?

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
Did Prophet Receive Revelations Outside the Quran?
« on: November 13, 2011, 07:27:44 AM »
Dear Brother Joseph,

There is a Verse which talks about the Prophet 'discussing a hadith with one of his wives,' and She then tells somebody else, in this verse, the Prophet then says that ''GOD told him about this disclosure',

Many 'muslims' will use this verse, to 'prove that Muhammad received revelations other then Quran,

i can think of some examples where We may be informed of something, but maybe not from the Source direct, How do we explain this Verse? (sorry i cannot recall the verses, if yo do not know it, i will look again'

Thank you in advance!

Peace

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Did Prophet Receive Revelations Outside the Quran?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:32:50 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

The verse you refer to with regards the Prophet's wives divulging something is Surah Tahrim and verse number 3. (66:3). You are absolutely correct in my humble opinion when you say 'I can think of some examples where We may be informed of something, but maybe not from the Source direct'. This brother is your 'wisdom'. What gave you the wisdom to understand the wisdom of what that verse means?

So I feel you are absolutely correct in my humble opinion.

To claim that this silence in the Quran means that the Prophet was taught something else vital for mankind's guidance which was not included in the scripture is a violation of so many other verses which claim that the only revelation to the Prophet for mankind's guidance was the Quran which was complete for its intended purpose.

006:114
"Say: "Shall I seek for judge other than God? - when He is the One who has sent to you the Book, explained in detail (Arabic: Mufassalan)." They know full well, to whom We have given the Book, that it has been sent down from your Lord in truth. Never be then of those who doubt"

045:006                
"These are verses of God (Arabic: ayat-ullah) that We recite to you with truth. Then, in what HADITH (Arabic word: Hadithin) after God and His verses (Arabic: Ayati) do they believe?"

There are many forms of 'inspiration' (wahi) which include those in which circumstances reveal the truth of a matter or a suggestion to action something. For example, Prophet Moses's mother who was not a Prophet was 'inspired' to put her babe into the river (28:7), or the bees who are 'inspired' to choose habitations in the hills and in the trees in which they can build (16:68).

'And (O Muhammad) follow that which is inspired in you, and forbear until God give judgment. And He is the Best of Judge'

And what is inspired in the Prophet for mankind's guidance? The following verse elaborates.

006:019 (Part)
'Say: "What thing is most weighty in evidence?" Say: "God is witness between me and you: THIS QURAN HAS BEEN REVEALED TO ME BY INSPIRATION, that I may warn you and all whom it reaches'¦.

PROPHET WAS TOLD ONLY TO WARN WITH THE QURAN

050:045
'We know best what they say; and you are not one to overawe them by force. So admonish with the Quran such as fear My Warning!

Furthermore, it is a valid question to ask why it was deemed necessary to inform mankind via scripture that the Prophet had forbidden something that he should not have done to please his wives in 66:1? Is not the wisdom here that not everything the prophet says or does is 'revelation'? This seriously challenges the oft cited traditional Muslim claim that whatever the Prophet spoke was revelation. Clearly in this verse the Prophet made something forbidden for which he had received no warrant from his lord.

The only thing that is protected by God is the Quran. We have not been informed of the protection of anything else.

015:009
'Surely We have revealed the reminder (Arabic: Dhikr) and We will most surely be its guardian (Arabic: Hafizun)

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:22:50 PM »

ANOTHER SIMILAR QUESTION RECEIVED FROM ANOTHER READER

Assalam Br Joseph.

In Sura Tahreem it said about the Prophet that Allah revealed something about his wife's intention and it is clear that Allah will give Rasool information other than Wahi.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:32:46 PM »
Salamun Alaikum

Yes of course. Verse 66:3 is a clear verse that informs the reader that humans receive 'messages', 'information' or even 'inspirations' from God.

However, the Prophet received this 'inspiration' as a man, not in the capacity of a Prophet. If he received an inspiration for the purposes of religious guidance for the posterity of believers it would have appeared in the Quran. Please see verses 3:123-126 which were confirmed as arguably prophetic inspiration / information which has been preserved for posterity. Muhammad (pbuh) was a son, a man, a father, a husband, a leader, a spiritual leader and a PROPHET. He could make mistakes in the capacity as a man (66:1, 80:1), but never in the capacity as a Prophet with regards his 'wahi' for mankind. This was protected (53:3-4)

This 'inspiration', 'message' or 'manifestation of truth' in verse 66:3 would be no different in my opinion to the 'inspiration' acquired by the mother of Prophet Moses (pbuh) who was 'inspired' (Arabic: awhayna) to place her baby in the river. (28:7) She was not a Prophet, but received 'inspiration' in her capacity as a fearful mother.

In our own personal experiences, circumstances often reveal things to us where we may feel that we may have been 'shown' something or in some way 'aided'.

In a similar manner, all this verse confirms is that God does communicate and assist mankind in different ways, like the mother of Prophet Moses (pbuh).

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was no different and he too received such non Quranic 'assistance / wahi' to deal with his personal life.

I hope that helps.

Your brother in faith,
Joseph.
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell