Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Are the Articles of Islamic Faith Foundational for people on this forum?

Offline Zack

• View Profile
Hello all,

I was surprised when on another link I received the following response.....
Salam Daniel, We don't find any term by "Pillars of faith" in the Quran and you are probably referring to a hadith. Thanks anyways!

I meant the articles of Faith for a Muslim; eg. Believe in the Holy Books, Believe in the Prophets etc. Last Days etc...

Maybe I have made an assumption all along. Is this an absolute for those with a Qur'an-centric approach, or is it true that these are post-Qur'an?

Wasalam
Daniel

Offline Armanaziz

• Arman Aziz
    • View Profile
Re: Are the Articles of Islamic Faith Foundational for people on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »
Dear Brother Daniel:

Salamun Alaikum.

Qur'an doesn't itemize the elements of faith, so the itemization is a product of the secondary sources. But Qur'an requires the believers to believe in a variety of concepts including Oneness of God, The afterlife, the angels, the messengers and the holy books. So, if somone compiles such a list from Qur'an - we cannot necessarily say such a list is Un-Qur'anic (unless the list contains items which is not mentioned in Qur'an).

My humble understanding based on my limited knowledge of Qur'an is that the bare minimum requirement for getting a rewarding afterlife is to a) have faith in Allah (or, One true God) and b) believing in the Last Day and then c) acting appropriately / righteously. This understanding is based on numerous verses of Qur'an, for example - 2:8; 2:62; 2:126 etc.

The pious people (al-birra) are identified as ones who believe in Allah (or, One true God) and the Last Day, and the angels and the book and the prophets - in addition to certain other qualities. This is supported by the following verse:

2:177 Piety is not that you turn your faces towards the east or the west; on the contrary - pious is (one) who believes in Allah and the last day, and the angels and the book, and the prophets; and gives the wealth, despite love for it, to near relatives, and the orphans, and the needy, and the distressed travelers (literally: sons of the path), and the beggars , and in (freeing) bondage (literally: necks) ; and establishes salaat and gives zakaat; and ones fulfilling their covenant whenever they make it; and the patient ones in adversity and hardship and time of pressure  – They are the ones who are (on) truth and they are the conscious.

[My personal translation - I encourage to cross check.]

Hope this was helpful. May Allah guide us all to the straight route.

Regards,
Arman

Indeed I have faced my face to the One who farmed the heavens and the earth in precision; and I do not happen to be among the ones associating partners (with Him).

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 02:47:24 AM »
Hello all,

I was surprised when on another link I received the following response.....
Salam Daniel, We don't find any term by "Pillars of faith" in the Quran and you are probably referring to a hadith. Thanks anyways!

I meant the articles of Faith for a Muslim; eg. Believe in the Holy Books, Believe in the Prophets etc. Last Days etc...

Maybe I have made an assumption all along. Is this an absolute for those with a Qur'an-centric approach, or is it true that these are post-Qur'an?

Wasalam
Daniel

As-salam alaykum brother Daniel,

The core tenets of belief of a 'mu'min' (believer) are given by the Quran as:

002:285
"The messenger believes in that which has been revealed to him from his Lord and (so do) believers (Arabic: mu'minuna). Each one believes in God and His angels and His scriptures and His messengers - We make no distinction between any of His messengers - and they say: We hear, and we obey. (Grant us) Thy forgiveness, our Lord. Unto You is the journeying / our return (Last Day)"

In the following link I also mention:

http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1147.msg5095#msg5095

"The Quran does not speak about 'pillars' of Islam in the manner commonly understood. The Quran speaks of many concepts and practices such as the need for justice, giving charity (as well as zakat) etc. Yes indeed, to believe in God and His appointed agents, prayer, fasting, zakat and pilgrimage are central doctrines and practices expected from a believer from the Quran, but these are nothing new. They were central practices expected from monotheistic worshippers since the time of Prophet Abraham."

As prophets Abraham and Ismail asked God " ....and show us our ways of worship (manasik)..." (2:128)

* Arabic: mansak - rites, rituals, ways of worship, acts of worship

I hope that helps, God willing.
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:20:53 AM »
OK, Thanks so much. You mentioned:

Not everyone who claims to be a 'Muslim' is a 'believer' and the latter implies a deeper spiritual recognition which not only encompasses belief in the final messenger and the Quran, but arguably also a true will to embody and implement its guidance."

Would it be true based on the above, just as common is the reverse.... Not all believers are Muslim? As the tenets of faith precede Muhammad, and this defines a believer.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 08:58:27 AM »
As-salam alaykum brother Daniel,

To be become a 'believer' from a Quran's perspective (in general), one would need to have submitted (i.e. become a Muslim first). 

049:014
The desert Arabs say, "We believe! (Arabic: Amana)" Say, "Do not say you believe (Arabic: tu'minu); but only say, 'We have submitted our wills to God (Arabic: Asalamna),' as belief (Arabic: l-imanu) has not yet entered your hearts. But if you obey God and His Messenger, He will not deprive you anything of your deeds: for God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

This does not mean that Muslims of old (that predated the Quran) were any less believers as they believed all that had been revealed to them. We are referring specifically to the term ‘believers’ from the point from the prophetic ministry and post the Quran’s revelation.

Therefore, a 'believer' from a Quran's perspective is one who also recognises the Quran as truth and God's word (i.e. belief in all the revealed Books).

For example, the Quran recognises that there were 'believers' from the People of the Book at the time of the prophetic ministry who believed in what was revealed to them and what was revealed to the Prophet.

"And there are, certainly, among the People of the Book (Arabic: Ahli-l-kitabi), those who believe in God, in the revelation to you, and in the revelation to them, bowing in humility to God: They will not sell the Signs of God for a miserable gain! For them is a reward with their Lord, and God is swift in account"

This is clearly a two-tier system where plurality is recognised. The people who believe in the final revelation are still being referred to as the People of the Book (Ahli-l-kitabi)

017.107-108
"Say: Believe in it or believe not; surely those who are given the knowledge before it fall down on their faces in prostration when it is recited to them. And they say: Glory be to our Lord! most surely the promise of our Lord was to be fulfilled"

"And when they listen to the revelation received by the Messenger, you will see their eyes overflowing with tears, for they recognise the truth: they pray: "Our Lord! we believe; write us down among the witnesses"

028.052-53
“Those to whom We sent the Book before this, they do believe in this (revelation). And when it is recited to them, they say: "We believe in it, for it is the Truth from our Lord: indeed we have been Muslims from before this"”

Here the difference between the Quranic usage of the term 'Muslim' and 'Believers' is clear. A Muslim is anyone who submits to the will of God as a monotheist. Believers (Arabic: Amanu) are specifically those that have belief in the final scripture of God (i.e. the Quran), as truth from Him.

From my humble perspective (and only God knows best), someone like yourself would arguably be a 'believer' from a Quran's perspective (28:52-53) from the People of the Book.

I hope that clarifies, God willing,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell