Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Noah´s Age

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
Noah´s Age
« on: April 21, 2014, 05:55:01 AM »
Salam to all,

I want to put the Age of Noah to discussion,did he really reached the "biblical"Age of nearly 1000years?

Sura 29:13 "(13) We (once) sent Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years less fifty: but the Deluge overwhelmed them while they (persisted in) sin. (14) "

If we look in arabic we fin that there a two different words used for year "sana" and "aman",is it by accident that there is the usage of two forms or does the author want say that only one is meant as a normal time ?

In Sure 2  :96   People want to live 1000 years
    Sura 70:4    1 Day in Heaven=50.000 years on earth
    Sura 32:5    1 Day in Heaven=1000    years on earth
    Sure 97:3    1 Day better than 1000   month

Today we hear the youth when they want to descibe a Long period using 1000 like "...i waited 1000 years for you ;...i`ve said it 1000 times;...1000 People were waiting at the Counter"

So is the thousand in 29:14 to be understand like a Long period like "We sent Noah to his People,and he tarried among his People for a Long period until fifty years..."

I don´t want to doubt the possibility of a Long age given by God but if he was 1000 years among his People than the Ayat in sura 23:24 would not say that their ancestors did not hear about his Message.

peace

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Noah´s Age
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:17:36 AM »
Dear Deliverance,

As-salam alaykum

Without wanting to initiate a 1-1 debate, please see my perspectives on this issue below. As you will note from the commentary on the post by certain individuals there are those that do not believe in a literal interpretation and can vehemently disagree. Sadly, at times, isolated comments have become personal in private messages. However, I have shared my reservations with their view as respectfully as I can.

I trust that this will at least share my perspective for you and other readers on this forum.

The Precision of the Quran's Usage of Language - Prophet Noah's Long Life
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/395974967206303?stream_ref=10

With regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Salam Joseph,
Thank you for the link and your perspective.

We had to take it under consideration that the People in Noahs area lived as Long as he did.Than we can come to the conclusion it was a very peaceful folk,no murder,no killing of old People who where much older than Noah.

(22) And We verily sent Noah unto his folk, and he said: O my people! Serve Allah. Ye have no other god save Him. Will ye not ward off (evil)? (23) But the chieftains of his folk, who disbelieved, said: This is only a mortal like you who would make himself superior to you. Had Allah willed, He surely could have sent down angels. We heard not of this in the case of our fathers of old. (24)

So all People in the time of Noah were longlifely ,Polytheist and not agressive against other People who belived not like they do.?

Offline good logic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »
Greetings Deliverance.

When you say:

Than we can come to the conclusion it was a very peaceful folk,no murder,no killing of old People who where much older than Noah.

I find the opposite?

71:5
He said, "My Lord, I have invited my people night and day.
قالَ رَبِّ إِنّى دَعَوتُ قَومى لَيلًا وَنَهارًا
71:6
"But my invitation only increased their aversion.
فَلَم يَزِدهُم دُعاءى إِلّا فِرارًا
71:7
"Whenever I invited them to be forgiven by You, they placed their fingers in their ears, covered themselves with their clothes, insisted, and turned arrogant.
وَإِنّى كُلَّما دَعَوتُهُم لِتَغفِرَ لَهُم جَعَلوا أَصٰبِعَهُم فى ءاذانِهِم وَاستَغشَوا ثِيابَهُم وَأَصَرّوا وَاستَكبَرُوا استِكبارًا
71:8
"Then I invited them publicly.
ثُمَّ إِنّى دَعَوتُهُم جِهارًا

71:21
Noah said, "My Lord, they disobeyed me, and followed those who were even more corrupted when blessed with money and children.
قالَ نوحٌ رَبِّ إِنَّهُم عَصَونى وَاتَّبَعوا مَن لَم يَزِدهُ مالُهُ وَوَلَدُهُ إِلّا خَسارًا
71:22
"They schemed terrible schemes.
وَمَكَروا مَكرًا كُبّارًا

71:24
"They misled many. Therefore, let the wicked plunge deeper into loss."
وَقَد أَضَلّوا كَثيرًا وَلا تَزِدِ الظّٰلِمينَ إِلّا ضَلٰلًا
71:25
Because of their sins they were drowned and assigned to the hellfire. They found no helpers to protect them from God.
مِمّا خَطيـٰٔتِهِم أُغرِقوا فَأُدخِلوا نارًا فَلَم يَجِدوا لَهُم مِن دونِ اللَّهِ أَنصارًا
71:26
Noah also said, "My Lord, do not leave a single disbeliever on earth.
وَقالَ نوحٌ رَبِّ لا تَذَر عَلَى الأَرضِ مِنَ الكٰفِرينَ دَيّارًا

I would have thought if they were peaceful, the majority would not have perished in the flood?

GOD bless you.
Peace.
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:58:20 PM »
Salam GoodLogic,

Thanks for posting the ayats of Noahs folk who indeed did terrible sins according to your post.

But we do not find that they did war,or have killed People.

If there were one Million(half female/male) People in the area where Noah lived and everybody lived centuries.They had to restrict themself to a one-child law for every centurie otherwise the planet would be overpopulated.Overpopulation would let to a shortens of resources and Food which let to war over the area which is furtile and rich of soil Minerals.

Another possibility is longlifliness is only found in Noahs Family,if this is the matter and the People around him lived only decades or 100years,they would consider him to be immortal or anglelike but in sura 23 we read "(23) But the chieftains of his folk, who disbelieved, said: This is only a mortal like you who would make himself superior to you. Had Allah willed, He surely could have sent down angels. We heard not of this in the case of our fathers of old. (24)
"

So there is only one possibilty namely that all People around him lived as Long as Noah?

The question is how would a Society look like if individuals live for centuries?
Did they eat like we do?how did they manage their daily life,did they belive in the hereafter when seldom somebody dies?

peace 

Offline Ismail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:48:17 AM »
Salaam.

According to Lane's Lexicon, 'sanathan' may also mean a quarter. That is to say, one of the four seasons of the year.

'Alf sana'' will then mean 250 years.

Minus 50, it is 200.

If 'thousand' is taken to mean only an especially long period, it would have been just that he lived to an exceptionally long period - quite reasonably, more than a century.

Regards,
A. Ismail Sait. 

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 06:52:46 PM »
@Ismail
In sura 9:36 we read that the number of the month is 12 and further in 9:37 we read that four are sacred ,and that the disbeliever Change them in one "AaM"to the other "AaM" so if shahr in 9:36 is translated as month than "AaM" consist of 12 Units of shahr.

In sura 12:46 Joseph interpreted the Dream of the ruler in which he ordered them to sow as normal but to leave an amount of it in hard times.I would also say that this means 7 sow season,as you has quoted lane´s Lexicon.
Do they sow two times a year then it is a period of 3 and half year in which they have enough corn which will be followed by 3 and half year of less corn.

Offline Deliverance

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
Sorry wrong calculation ;Sana=season;7Sana=1year 9month

The harvest in old egypt depended from the Monsoon in Ethiopia which brought the flood.