Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Ablution and Sleep

Offline afafaff

• View Profile
Ablution and Sleep
« on: January 19, 2013, 04:03:33 AM »
Peace be upon you.

In this page, http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=675.msg2507#new, it is told that "passing wind" does not break wudu (ablution) according to Quran and remains as matter of choise.

Does sleeping, fainting or diziness break wudu (not speaking about wet dreams and such) according to Quran?

Kind regards,
Haji

Offline islamist

• View Profile
Re: Ablution and Sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »
O ye who believe! Ask not questions about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble. But if ye ask about things when the Qur'an is being revealed, they will be made plain to you, Allah will forgive those: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing. Some people before you did ask such questions, and on that account lost their faith. (5:101-102) - Yousef Ali Translation

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »
Dear Haji,

May peace be with you.

064:016
“So keep your duty to God as best you can / what you are able (Arabic: ma is’tata’tum), and listen, and obey, and spend; that is better for your souls. And whoso is saved from his own greed, such are the successful”

039:018
"Those who listen to the Word (the Quran) and follow the best meaning in it / best of it (Arabic: fayattabi'una ahsanahu) those are the ones whom God has guided and those are the one's endowed with understanding (Arabic: Albabi)

The Quran does not intend to address every possible human scenario and prescribe a religious edict to it. It provides necessary guidance for one to take from it the best meaning (39:18), apply it to the best of one's abilities (64:16) and not to unduly complicate religion without warrant. Therefore, I do resonate the general sentiment that respected brother Islamist has shared. Please see the wisdom from Surah Baqarah and the story of the sacrificial cow [1].

No doubt, it was the tendency of early Muslims to solicit finer and finer details of general commandments that have arguably resulted in a whole behemoth of Islamic secondary sources peddled in the name of religion.

From a Quran's perspective and keeping in view the above verses and sentiments, I personally think that it is a better position to perform wudu (ablution) after any state in which one is not aware of their surroundings or consciousness is lost. This would arguably include sleeping and fainting. I understand that this suggestion is not so different from the traditional position.

I hope that helps, God willing,
Joseph.

REFERENCES:

[1] DO NOT COMPLICATE RELIGION - WISDOM FROM SURAH BAQARAH
http://quransmessage.com/articles/wisdom%20-%20baqarah%20FM3.htm
[2] DO THE BEST YOU CAN WITH SINCERITY
http://quransmessage.com/articles/best%20you%20can%20FM3.htm
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline afafaff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:48:12 AM »
Thank you all for your responses.

To follow things, by associating to Islam, without knowledge makes your life difficult and makes it harder for unbelievers to accept Islam. It should remain as matter of choice. In my opinion if you want to make an unbeliever to believe, you have to think like unbeliever. It is an good art of convincing.

I agree with you Joseph. Just to be secure, it is good idea to perform ablution. I just wanted to be sure that there was nothing in the Quran about this.

Kind regards,
Haji

Offline Truth Seeker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:01:08 AM »
Salaam,

I think that it may be better to perform ablution in this situation also. Part of the mental preparation for prayer is experienced during ablution as it focuses the mind which can only be a good thing in my opinion.