Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: The Concept of Free Will and One's Fate Fastened to One's Neck

Offline Reader Questions

• View Profile
The Concept of Free Will and One's Fate Fastened to One's Neck
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:07:36 AM »
Salamun Alaikum,

Thanks to Allah S.W.T because I recently found your website. Your deep understanding regarding the word of Allah had made me realize that I should keep try and try to ponder Qur'an more in order to further my understanding regarding Allah mercy and amnesty.

For your information I'm in the way to search the concrete truth even I was born as a MUSLIM.

I have one question regarding Surah Al-Isra' (17:13):

And [for] every person We have imposed his fate upon his neck, and We will produce for him on the Day of Resurrection a record which he will encounter spread open.

This ayah seems to contradict the free will concept or human volition as you mentioned in your articles. Please clarify this based on your understanding.

Regards,

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: The Concept of Free Will and One's Fate Fastened to One's Neck
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 02:19:35 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam

With regards your question pertaining to verse 17:13, if anything, I would be inclined to argue that this verse actually supports the concept of free-will, human volition and personal accountability, whilst negating the concept of reliance on others to protect one on the Day of Judgment.

Please allow me to humbly explain.

"And We have made every human's actions / augury (*tayra'hu) fastened to his own neck, and We will bring forth to him on the resurrection day a book / record which he will find wide open"

* 'Tayr' in Arabic, literally means a bird.

An omen as you will know is a sign or event which can be regarded as good or bad. Similarly, the classical grammarian authorities seem to note that the Arabs used to pass places where birds flocked on the ground. They used to rouse them to see (depending on their response) and determine a particular outcome from it. In some cases there was an 'evil' omen attached to the croaking of a crow or from the movement of the birds in a particular direction etc. However, not all omens were bad. Even today (not restricted to Arabs), the croaking of a crow can be seen as an omen.

Therefore, the 'tayraHU' in verse 17:13 is referring to a generic person's 'tayra' and would imply their bird of omen (good or bad). This is best understood (from a classical Arabic perspective) into English as their augury, action, fate or a person's deeds etc. (Active participle). The Quran simply spoke in the language, phrases and idioms with which the Arabs were familiar with. Classical grammarian authorities attempt to capture these.

The Quran captures many instances of such an expression being used to denote bad omens as well. An example can be seen in verse 7:131 where evil omens were ascribed to Prophet Moses (7:131) as part of superstitions. This was negated by the Quran with the elucidation that such omens (good or bad) were only with God (7:131).

007:131
“But when good befell them they said: This is due to us; and when evil afflicted them, they attributed it to the ill-luck / evil of omens (yaTAYYaru) of Moses and those with him. Behold! their evil fortunes are only with God, but most of them do not know.”

This is also supported by the words of the messengers in 36:19 that made it clear that bad fates / auguries were tied with the people themselves, arguably as a consequence of their own actions.

036:19
“They said: Your evil fortune (TAYRukum) is with you!; What! Is it because you are reminded / admonished!? Nay, you are a people transgressing.”

Now coming back to verse 17:13 below:

"And We have made every human's actions / augury (tayra'hu) fastened to his own neck, and We will bring forth to him on the resurrection day a book / record which he will find wide open"

This one verse completely negates earthly superstitious beliefs of 'omens' and fastens one's fate to one's own neck i.e. their own deed and misdeeds, thereby cementing the concept of personal accountability.

This verse also lends itself to the interpretation that a record will be produced which will record ones deeds. It would be arguably meaningless to produce a record, if man did not have free-will and simply acted as an automaton. This would arguably negate the concept of accountability which is well-enshrined as a Quranic doctrine.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell