Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Does Quran 24:32-33 state that marriage is REQUIRED?

Offline Lobotomize94

• View Profile
Does Quran 24:32-33 state that marriage is REQUIRED?
« on: December 19, 2014, 05:51:02 AM »
Quran 24:32 Marry those among you who are single, or the virtuous ones among yourselves, male or female: if they are in poverty, Allah will give them means out of His grace: for Allah encompasseth all, and he knoweth all things.

Quran 24:33 But let them who find not marriage abstain [from sexual relations] until Allah enriches them from His bounty.

It seems to me that marriage is something that you should be actively looking for. If you cannot find it, you should not have sex and wait until you find it.

I get the impression that you should desire marriage and should try to get married. Is it thus sinful if I desire to be single forever and not look for marriage? The Quran seems to say that I should be looking for marriage. Am I obligated to marry if I have the ability to marry, but choose not to?

To me marriage is not going to make my life any better. I find peace in loneliness and I do not plan on having children. My sexual desire is at a minimum. I don't find many women attractive and I do want anything to do with anyone.  Is this a sinful lifestyle as per the Quran?

Please ignore any personal bias. Objectively, from the Quran--Am I supposed to actively look for marriage? Personally, I do not connect with people and cannot form emotional connections with people. But I can pretend for Allah.

I find no issue with getting married just for Allah. But I would be doing it just because I was told to--not because I want to and not because I would love my spouse. Quite the contrary, I don't think I would love her--she would just be something I use so that I fulfill my obligations towards Allah. It would be like prayer. You do it just because Allah commanded it and you want to get closer to Allah.

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
Re: Does Quran 24:32-33 state that marriage is REQUIRED?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 12:07:44 PM »

In my opinion there is no compulsion to get married. If you can live a pius life one need not marry. I think it is Allah's suggestion.
May entire creation be filled with Peace & Joy & Love & Light

Offline Lobotomize94

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 01:27:54 PM »

In my opinion there is no compulsion to get married. If you can live a pius life one need not marry. I think it is Allah's suggestion.

But doesn't that directly contradict Quran 24:32?

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 03:07:04 AM »
There are very many people who do not have capacity to fulfil sexual activity, some are week, etc for whome it is not suitable in go for marriage.

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:38:55 PM »
Salam everyone,
You are required to get married only if you can't control yourself from illegal sexual intercourse. In that case, the Quran gives instructions as to who can you get married (chaste believing women who are pious, or chaste women from people of the book, or if you can't afford a free women of the above categories, then a chaste, believing slave woman). But if you are sure you can guard your chastity, then there is no compulsion to get married, only if it's your wish.
God bless :)
"Say:"O my slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

Offline Sardar Miyan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:27:09 AM »
Thanks sister for giving support to my views.

Offline Seraphina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 01:10:55 AM »
You're welcome brother, furthermore, I would add that even the greatest supporters of ahadith support the view that marriage is a strong sunnah, a sin-protecting strongly recommended sunnah, but just a sunnah, not a compulsion. It's simply a choice based in your feelings and your circumstances. If you don't want to get married, it's ok, but you should strive to guard your chastity. If you fall in love with someone or you're finding it difficult to stay chaste, then get married.
To make it short: Stay single but be chaste, or get married to share the bed with spouse. No middle choice.
Your sister Seraphina :)
"Say:"O my slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."