Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: 12:67-68 and 16:103

Offline munir rana

• View Profile
12:67-68 and 16:103
« on: August 05, 2015, 02:33:55 PM »
Dear Forum Members

Salam.

Here are two verses, if you share your understanding with me.

12:67-68
He said, "My sons, do not enter from one gate, but enter from separate gates; and I cannot avail you anything against God, for the judgment is to God. In Him I put my trust, and in Him those who put their trust should trust."
When they entered from where their father had commanded them, it would not have availed them in the least against God, but it was out of a concern in Jacob's person. Since We have taught him, he had certain knowledge; but most people do not know.

Why different gates? any idea? And why didn't it work?

16:103
We are aware that they say, "A human is teaching him." The language of the one they refer to is foreign, while this is a clear Arabic language."

Who is that person in this verse? Any clue?

I know, these questions might be unnecessary. Actually these are not so important for guidance.  But a little curiosity. Thats all. If anyone can enlighten.

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: 12:67-68 and 16:103
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 07:05:08 PM »
Dear Munir Rana

Wa alaikum assalam

I know, these questions might be unnecessary. Actually these are not so important for guidance.  But a little curiosity. Thats all.

Some would respectfully argue that it was the little curiosities and the need to elicit details where the Quran was silent, that gave rise to the voluminous Ahadith corpus. There is indeed Quranic silence on many matters and the question does arise as to why one would need to fill in the gaps of knowledge where God has not deemed necessary to do so for religious guidance [1]

However in my humble view, your question regarding verses 12:67-68 is sound from a Quranic perspective.  An interesting point to remember in verse 12:67 is that it is not always given that when a prophet provides guidance or wisdom it is 'prophetic' in nature or Divinely inspired. Prophets are also humans and provide personal advice. [2], [3] However, ultimately, it is God that holds the key to ultimate judgement / knowledge.

I suspect given the theme of the verses that this advice was imparted with a view that the brothers would not attract any undue attention. For example, if the idea is to remain discreet and unassuming whilst travelling to a foreign land or place, the last thing one would do is to arrive at the place is in large groups. However, ultimately, God's wider plan must come to fruition and regardless of what seemingly good advice one may part, even from a Prophet, ultimately it would be of no use if it did not align with God's wider purpose / plan.

From this it can also be inferred that although humans have volition and can make choices, the remit / constraints are set by God in which one can exercise those choices.

I hope this helps, God willing
Joseph

REFERENCES:

[1] UNKNOWN TOWNS AND NAMES - WHY FILL IN THE GAPS?
http://quransmessage.com/articles/unknown%20towns%20and%20names%20FM3.htm
[2] WERE ALL THE PROPHET'S UTTERANCES A 'WAHI' FROM GOD? (DIVINELY INSPIRED)
http://quransmessage.com/articles/prophetic%20utterances%20FM3.htm
[3] Was the Prophet of God Akin to a Postman Who Simply Delivers a Message?
https://www.facebook.com/joseph.a.islam/posts/247680292035772

'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline munir rana

• View Profile
Re: 12:67-68 and 16:103
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 03:22:40 PM »
Dear Brother Joseph Islam

Salam

your explanation regarding 12:67,68 enlightened me.
Thanks for your response.

Munir Rana