Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Understanding Quran 8:39

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: Understanding Quran 8:39
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 02:43:58 AM »
Thank you brother Hassan A! May God bless you for all your efforts as well :)

As-salamu alaykum
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »
Salaam mia666,

With respect to the question you asked on your last comment on whether I would consider a believer or disbelievers the father who considers music, art, and cartoons haram, my answer is simply that I am in no position to say who is and isn't a believer/disbeliever; I am in no position to judge others. Only Allah has the right to judge and the right to determine who, among His servants, are believers or disbelievers.

That said, I would like to address that fathers claims in saying that music, art, and cartoons are haram.

As I have alluded to in a previous reply: Any and all religious assertions or theological standpoints/practices must find unequivocal support from the Quran; any theological standpoint whatsoever in the name of God's religion, must provide clear, unambiguous, unequivocal proof and authority from the Quran for those position; as it is the Quran that is the primary and ultimate authority from God.
Therefore, the burden of prove would be on the father you mentioned to support his assertions solely from a Quran perspective for his proclamation of music, art, and cartoons being haram.

The verse most Muslims cite to support their declaring of music being as haram is the following verse:

"But there are, among men, those who purchase idle (Arabic: Lahwa-l) tales (Arabic: Hadith), without knowledge, to mislead from the Path of God and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a Humiliating Penalty" [Quran 31:6]

But what is being referred to in the above verse is not music but rather those who mock the Quran. Nowhere in that verse is there any mention of the word 'music'. Rather the word used in that verse, which some translators translate as music, is the word ‘idle’ (or Lahwa-l Hadith). All this verse says is that there are, among man, those who purchase false words/idle (or Lahwa-l Hadith) without knowledge. It’s, as Muhammad Asad states: an allusion to a pseudo-philosophical play with words and metaphysical speculations without any real meaning (or evidence) behind them.

Brother Joseph Islam further elucidates on that verse and on the topic of music in the following article:
http://quransmessage.com/articles/music%20FM3.htm

With respect to the other two (art and cartoon), the declaration of them being haram also finds absolutely NO support from the Quran.

Peace,
Hassan.

Offline Hassan A

• The truth has prevailed and falsehood has vanished
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 11:28:51 AM »
Salaam brother Joseph Islam,

Thank you, as well. And God bless :)