Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: I did 'umrah... some questions to brother Joseph

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
I did 'umrah... some questions to brother Joseph
« on: March 13, 2016, 05:53:01 AM »
As-salaamu 'alaykum!

So, I went to 'umrah (Alhamdulillah) with my mother (we were with a massive group - 100 people). We first went to Madinah (I don't know for what purpose). I was unfortunately, forced to say as-salaamu 'alayka ya rasulAllah, as-salaamu 'alaika ya abu bakr and so forth when I saw their graves. I'm a Qur'an-centric Muslim and I was frightened that they would know, so I had to do it :(. We stayed four days in Madinah, I got distressed for the reason that this country has so much money yet there were women begging for money. And, I thought to myself, what kind of country is this? Are they really following the guidance of the Qur'an? I felt pain in my heart and did my best to give something to these poor women. So, after four days staying in Madinah, we got ready to travel to Mecca. I had my ihram and after some kilometres we stopped in a masjid (meeqat), did niyyat for 'umrah and then continued to travel to Mecca.

When we arrived to our hotel, we went to our rooms and after two hours the entire group went together to do 'umrah. Wallahi, We did 'umrah and while doing tawaf, the people got crazy because they wanted to kiss the black stone. The people were scratching, screaming at each other and so forth. So, after tawaf I went to sa'y (safa wa marwah) -- So, the 'umrah was complete.

Some questions to brother Joseph:

1. Is it necessary to do niyyat? Doesn't Allah the Exalted know everything? Doesn't he know my intention? What I'm about to do? So, why do Ahlus Sunnah do niyyat for everything?

2. Many did 3-4 'umrah, is it permissible to do as many as you like?

3. Is it obligatory to travel to a meeqat? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miqat

4. After the tawaf, the Muslims pray two nawafil behind the maqam ibrahim - is it obligatory to do that?

Wa as-salaam!

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
Re: I did 'umrah... some questions to brother Joseph
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:00:31 AM »
Wa alaikum assalam brother IjazAhmad,

Please see my responses in blue italics to your questions below in bold:

1. Is it necessary to do niyyat? Doesn't Allah the Exalted know everything? Doesn't he know my intention? What I'm about to do? So, why do Ahlus Sunnah do niyyat for everything?

With utmost respect dear brother, your question appears to be prejudiced by the sentiments shared in your follow up questions. Thus, respectfully, please allow me to deal with both.
There is nothing inconsistent with the Quran with regards to performing Niyyah (intention). Albeit there are no set ritualised utterances prescribed by the Quran, a simple intention can focus the mind towards an act. Furthermore, there are numerous mentions of 'vows' in the Quran and these are arguably at times (if not most) prefixed with some sort of intention.

With regards the question of God not knowing a person's intention which appears to prefix your main contention, this respectfully is a mute comment. God clearly asks us to pray, He expects it to constitute utterances (4:43); He asks us to speak our prayer in a moderate tone (17:110); He even asks us to focus on a direction of prayer (Qiblah - 2:143-144) even though He himself is not restricted by a direction. What are the purpose of all these utterances and ritualised practices if God already knew how we felt or intended anyway (which He does)? The point is there are certain actions we are expected to perform not for God, but for our own spiritual growth, redemption and to focus our own minds to a particular holy act.

2. Many did 3-4 'umrah, is it permissible to do as many as you like?

There are no prescribed limits of the number of Umrah's one can perform. Any acts of worship for the love and sake of God are only congruent with the Quran's overarching message.

3. Is it obligatory to travel to a meeqat? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miqat

Again, I see nothing inconsistent with having a point dedicated from where a holy ritual should / could be initiated from. This only makes sense for example, assisting those that reside / stay within the proximity of the ritual centre, to establish their practices from prescribed starting points. Albeit there is no 'obligatory' set point prescribed by the Quran for the Miqat, I see absolutely no warrant to challenge the existing practice if there is nothing specific in the Quran to counter it with a better alternative.

4. After the tawaf, the Muslims pray two nawafil behind the maqam ibrahim - is it obligatory to do that?

There is no obligation or support for this in the Quran in the manner it is commonly understood by Muslims today. However any obligatory prayer for the sake of God should only be encouraged from a Quran’s perspective.

I hope this helps, God willing,

Regards,
Joseph
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell