Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Verse 4:65

Offline Student

• View Profile
Verse 4:65
« on: May 06, 2016, 01:32:28 AM »
Salamun Alaykum,
Brother Joseph,

You're aware of Nouman Ali Khan and his Bayyinah institute most likely as I've seen one of your Face Book post providing a link. Over all Bayyinah is good in bringing awareness of the Quran among American Muslim Youth in particular and world Muslims in general and by the day his popularity is on the rise and so also the fan following. I don't know or doubt the intention but sometimes he makes these speeches going out of the way to legitimize entire Hadith corpus and he has done this twice in short span defending Hadith corpus as a means to understanding the Quran and I felt it's misleading the youth with his explanation of Ayah 4:65 as a clear proof of Hadith/Sunnah (mind you they don't draw distinction between the two) being inseparable from Quran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB4cARWalY4&list=FL0Fds-SGzPhfuOYmU_PsDwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp98wb123ik

Can you spare some time and address the ayah 4:65 and refute his arguments please?

But no, by your Lord, they will not [truly] believe until they make you, [O Muhammad], judge concerning that over which they dispute among themselves and then find within themselves no discomfort from what you have judged and submit in [full, willing] submission.

Thank you!

Thanks,
~ Student

Offline Athman

• View Profile
Re: Verse 4:65
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 05:02:29 PM »
Wa alaikum as salaam,

Dear Br. Student,

I think this question was post-answered by Br. ‘Hassan A’ in another thread [1] months later as captured below. Hopefully you took notice of this. I’m only citing the same response as personally, it seems satisfactory and to avoid it appearing unattended to.

‘Salaam Hassan3000,

Although your question is directed at brother Joseph I would like to share with you my humble response.

I believe, as brother Joseph alluded to in one of his articles, that the directive here was, first and foremost, to the contemporaries of the Prophet who were the direct addressees. It is they who were being instructed to submit to the judgement of the prophet.

Secondly, if the verse you've cited is read in conjunction with verse 60:12 then it becomes clear that submission to his judgement is only allowed when his judgement is shown to be fair, just and right and in-line with the book of Allah (the Quran)
This understanding is also reinforced by the directive: "and then find within themselves no discomfort from what you have judged" in the verse you cited.

Furthermore, I believe that albeit they are the same person, a distinction must be made between 'Muhammad the messenger / prophet' and 'Muhammad the man / husband / father'.
Muhammad, in his capacity as a man / husband / father, would not have (in his general judgement) been 'infallible / flawless', and made occasional mistakes / errors, as clearly noted from these Quranic verses: 9:43, 80:1-10, 66:1. These minor errors / mistakes were, however, invariably pointed out to him, and thus rectified, through divine revelation. Judgments made by Muhammad (pbuh) in his capacity as a man / husband / father must be accepted only when they are shown to be just [/b]and right and in-line with the book of Allah (the Quran).
Whereas Muhammad, in his capacity as a messenger / prophet, (entrusted to deliver the Quran) would NOT have made any mistakes / errors, as he was under divine guidance / influence (53:3-4; 69:44-48; 15:9).
Therefore, I believe the verse you cited was asking the contemporaries of the Prophet to accept (and act upon) the judgement of Muhammad (pbuh) made in his capacity as a prophet, and sense those judgments were made by Muhammad in his capacity as a messenger / prophet (which meant he was under divine influence) they must'v be right and just.

That is my humble understating. Any critique is welcomed.
Peace.’

Hopefully this is acceptable.

Regards,

Athman.

Reference:

[1]. Critique – THE LIMITS OF OBEYING A MESSENGER by Hassan
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=2003.msg9931#msg9931