Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Who must we fight?

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
Who must we fight?
« on: May 22, 2016, 07:33:28 AM »
Salamon,

From 2:216:

كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِتَالُ (It is written for you to fight)

Who though must, and mustn't we fight?

Could you write an article that includes all of our Lords mentions of it?

: )
deleted

Offline Zack

• View Profile
Re: Who must we fight?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:49:48 PM »
Salamon,

From 2:216: كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِتَالُ (It is written for you to fight) Who though must, and mustn't we fight?

Hello Salamon, I am sure Br. Joseph or one of the moderators will respond to you. However for now, this is an example of why the Qur'an needs to be read in its historical context. The Qur'an is a recitation primarily for Arab warriors, with possibly over 100 verses relating to warfare. These verses were never intended for us. There are principles we can draw from, however beyond that these verses are instructing 7th century Arab warriors.

That is my view anyway.

Wasalam
Zack

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 11:42:46 PM »
Salamon,

From 2:216: كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِتَالُ (It is written for you to fight) Who though must, and mustn't we fight?

Hello Salamon, I am sure Br. Joseph or one of the moderators will respond to you. However for now, this is an example of why the Qur'an needs to be read in its historical context. The Qur'an is a recitation primarily for Arab warriors, with possibly over 100 verses relating to warfare. These verses were never intended for us. There are principles we can draw from, however beyond that these verses are instructing 7th century Arab warriors.

That is my view anyway.

Wasalam
Zack

Salam Zack,

I know it's your view but i wonder if it's what you think about all these "warfare" ayats ? I mean all of them ? What is your proof that those ayats are not intended for us and what do you think the principles we should draw from them ?

Offline Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 08:20:28 AM »

[/quote]

Salam Zack,  I know it's your view but i wonder if it's what you think about all these "warfare" ayats ? I mean all of them ? What is your proof that those ayats are not intended for us and what do you think the principles we should draw from them ?
[/quote]

For me the main reason that these war verses are not intended for us is that the Quran is deliberately revealed in Arabic for Arabia, as has been explained by Br Josephs article "Why is the Quran in Arabic", such as....

014.004 “And We did not send any messenger but with the language of his people, so that he might explain to them clearly."

With this, its specific instructions relate to an Arab context, a context of uniting Arabia under a central confession. When we take these verses given for Arab warriors and apply them literally today, we are removing them from where they were intended, and it is very dangerous.. a revelation for Arab warriors "so that they can understand clearly."

Principles are such as 2:190, not going past accepted boundaries in war....,

Wasalam

Zack

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 09:56:08 AM »
Right, but it doesn't state "you Arabs" when it states that we're to fight. It just states "you". And what is your perspective then on all else in the book? Is it all "just for the Arabs"?
deleted

Offline IjazAhmad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 09:16:18 PM »
As-salaamu 'alaykum!

2:216 Fighting is enjoined on you, and it is an object of dislike to you; and it may be that you dislike a thing while it is good for you, and it may be that you love a thing while it is evil for you, and God knows, while you do not know.
2:217 They ask you concerning the sacred month about fighting in it. Say: Fighting in it is a grave matter, and hindering (men) from God’s way and denying Him, and (hindering men from) the Sacred Mosque and turning its people out of it, are still graver with God, and persecution is graver than slaughter; and they will not cease fighting with you until they turn you back from your religion, if they can; and whoever of you turns back from his religion, then he dies while an unbeliever– these it is whose works shall go for nothing in this world and the hereafter…

All narratives in the Qur'an should be an exemplum for you to take heed.

We read ahead...

Did you not note the leaders of the Children of Israel after Moses, they said to their prophet: "Send us a king that we may fight in the cause of God;" he said: "Are you not concerned that if fighting is decreed for you, you will then not fight?" They said: "And why should we not fight in the cause of God when we have been expelled from our homes along with our children." So it was, that when fighting was decreed for them they turned away, except for a few of them! God is fully aware of the wicked. (2:246)

The Prophet (s.a.w) was expelled:

If you do not help him, then God has helped him. When those who rejected expelled him, he was one of only two, and when they were in the cave, he said to his friend: "Do not grieve, for God is with us." So God sent down His tranquility over him and He supported him with soldiers that you did not see, and He made the word of those who rejected be the lowest, and the word of God be the highest. God is Noble, Wise. (9:40)

The began the hostilities:

Would you not fight a people who broke their oaths, and obsessed to expel the messenger, especially while they were the ones who attacked you first? Are you concerned about them? It is God who is more deserving that you be concerned with if you are believers. (9:13)

Wa as-Salaam!