Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Jizyah in the Quran

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
Jizyah in the Quran
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:52:25 AM »
Assalumu Alaikum brothers and sisters,

I would like to know your opinions on verse 9:29 of the Quran. There are many theories about what the jizyah mentioned in this verse is referring to (for example, a tax, reparation, compensation, etc). Is there any other verse in the Quran that mentions this tax, so that it can be cross-referenced with 9:29? :)

Is the jizyah a tax for protection from enemies or compensation for past wrongdoing? Any ideas would be appreciated :)
“Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib: I heard the Apostle of Allah say: In eloquence there is magic, in knowledge ignorance, and in poetry wisdom”

“Historically, what is or isn’t mainstream (in Islam) has always been a function of power, not of truth.” (Iyad El-Baghdadi, Arab Spring activist)

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
Re: Jizyah in the Quran
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 01:46:31 PM »
Peace. "الْجِزْيَ" means "the compensation". It is from the Arabic verb for "to compensate".
deleted

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 02:09:14 PM »
Asalamu Alykum Amira

Based on context and the post from brother Joseph regarding the Jizya, I would suggest that its a compensation or penalties put against those that commit transgression in their religion (9:30-31; 5:77)  and continued in their aggression towards the believers and not respecting their ties, treaties or oaths.

Please see post below for a full explanation[1]

[1] Jizya and Dhimmi Status
http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=315.0

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 11:36:03 PM »
Peace. Would I be right to state that our Lord doesn't state what the compensation is though?  (what would those do as compensation)
deleted

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 07:14:32 AM »
Asalamu Alykum Eliiah

Yes your right. The Quran does not state what the compensation or recompense would be, arguably because every case is different. I would assume it would depend on the severity of the case. The word Jizyah or recompense actually defines its own meaning and its amount. Because the meaning of recompense(Jizyah) is a reimbursement according to the action. It could also be used in repayments of actions that is good or bad.

Going back to the verse in question 9:29. The believers were asked to fight those who were transgressing and broke treaties, ties and oaths until they pay the dues for what their hands has put forth. In my humble opinion this would seem like the disbelievers would have been defeated and surrendered if they pay this due. The amount due would be something the Prophet and his people or in todays times those in authority would have to determine.

Also Jizyah might not always equate to a figure amount. It might be a sentence or service served. Always God knows best.

Hope that helps Insha'Allah

Peace

Offline Amira

• View Profile
    • oceanswereink
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »
Thank you so much for your answers brothers :)
“Narrated Buraydah ibn al-Hasib: I heard the Apostle of Allah say: In eloquence there is magic, in knowledge ignorance, and in poetry wisdom”

“Historically, what is or isn’t mainstream (in Islam) has always been a function of power, not of truth.” (Iyad El-Baghdadi, Arab Spring activist)

Offline deleted

• deleted
  • deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 01:36:21 PM »
Peace be upon you brother (and you too sister). What about 98:8(from):
جَزَاؤُهُمْ عِنْدَ رَبِّهِمْ جَنَّاتُ عَدْنٍ تَجْرِي مِنْ تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا أَبَدًا?

This is a situation in which the compensation isn't as you state, isn't it?
deleted

Offline Hamzeh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 05:49:43 PM »
Peace be upon you to Eliiah

Verse 98:7-8 tell us that those who believe and do righteous deeds that their compensation is with God.

98:8 Their reward is with Allah: Gardens of Eternity, beneath which rivers flow; they will dwell therein for ever; Allah well pleased with them, and they with Him: all this for such as fear their Lord and Cherisher.

Salam