Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Who were the Sabiun?

Offline Nura

• View Profile
Who were the Sabiun?
« on: October 16, 2016, 05:05:56 AM »
Salam brothers and sisters

Who do you think were the 'sabiun' mentioned in the Quran? Is it possible that they were a sect from among the 'people of the book'/ 'Children of Israel' ?  I could not find any verses in the Quran explaining who they were in detail, so clearly the prophet's contemporaneous people did not need any explanations, but there was a mention of the fact that the ' Children of Israel' did become divided among themselves into several sects. Maybe 'sabiun' was a sect from among the 'Children of Israel'? Please do tell me about your individual beliefs about this particular group of people and what do you think should we belief about them from a Quranic perspective? Looking forward to interesting answers from you all!
Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline good logic

• View Profile
Re: Who were the Sabiun?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 07:12:26 AM »
Peace Nura.

You probably had a look here already?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabians

For me  identification of "Sabians" is nearer to this group:

The Sabians are also mentioned in the literature of the Bahá'í Faith. These references are generally brief, describing two groups of Sabians: those "who worship idols in the name of the stars, who believed their religion derived from Seth and Idris", and others "who believed in the son of Zechariah (John the Baptist) and didn't accept the advent of the son of Mary (Jesus Christ)".[note 1] 'Abdu'l-Bahá briefly describes Seth as one of the "sons of Adam".[17] Bahá'u'lláh in a Tablet identifies Idris with Hermes.[18] He does not, however, specifically name Idris as the prophet of the Sabians.

That is my opinion, as Sabeen is mentioned before Nasara and after Yahud in the verses.
GOD bless you.
Peace
Total loyalty to GOD
In GOD i TRUST.
https://total-loyalty-to-god-alone.co.uk/?page_id=197

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 07:38:46 AM »
Salam good logic

Yes, I did take a look at the link you posted before hand. But, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts brother. It is appreciated.

Offline Nura

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 11:22:15 AM »
Salam brothers and sisters

5:69
Indeed, those who believed and those who became Jews and the Sabians and the Christians, whoever believed in Allah and the Last Day and did good deeds, then no fear on them and not they will grieve.

2:62
Indeed, those who believed and those who became Jews and the Christians and the Sabians - who believed in Allah and the Day [the] Last and did righteous deeds, so for them (is) their with their Lord and no fear on them and not they will grieve.

I have thought about these verses, the Quran clearly mentions them with groups of people whose faith is described as those who believed in Allah, in the Last day and did good deeds. So, they were a group of people who believed these and did good deeds, just like us. I guess that should be enough, since other statements about them cannot be made from the Quran.