Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: Are we commanded to preach Islam and other questions...

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
Are we commanded to preach Islam and other questions...
« on: November 11, 2016, 04:49:14 PM »
Salam All,

Hope you are all fine...i have few doubts...

i was wondering..is it compulsory for us to preach people about islam?..like..should i preach to my friends or something..coz...my friends are non-muslims...and here peole dont much preach about their religions..so if i preach..things may go wrong...so..i jus wanted to know...are we commanded or is it compulsory to spread islam or message of Quran or tell people about islam?...Or can we show them...by living our life as per Quran...and not to try to preach them?...

Are we allowed to follow traditions?...M 7th months pregnant...and i live in India...but from southern part of India...the thing is...in south india...People belonging to all religions..be it muslim...christian or hindus...they perform some traditions during 7th month of pregnant...like...In south...the girl goes to her parent's place for delivery...so during 7th month...Girl's family comes and all perform some traditions and take the girl with them...so...what i m confused is...is it ok follow traditions?...are committing any sin here?...

One more doubt...m working...and i have been provided with a landline phone for myself (connection in my name)...like...each employee is provided with a phone connection to themselves...everyone use it for official and personal calls...i jus wanted to know...is it ok to use for personal use?...m i doing anything wrong here by using it for personal use?...i dont use it much though...everyone uses their phones for personal use...m wrong anywhere here?...

Can you please clear these questions..m confused...

Offline Nura

• View Profile
Re: Are we commanded to preach Islam and other questions..
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 10:04:52 PM »
Salam Sister Anjum

Congratulations! May God protect and bless your child and your family always.

It is not compulsory to preach Islam. If you are qualified to preach, then do so, but with gentle and good speech. In today's world sister,  preaching the true message of the Quran is very difficult, which is why a lot of people choose to do that anonymously. I would suggest you to consider anonymity for your own safety , if you want to preach on a platform in a large scale. If your friends and relatives come to you to know, then of-course help them learn. But preaching to people who do not have interest  to know, is something I find yielding negative results most of the time. You should welcome people who want to understand and know Islam sincerely. Just because someone is not a believer, doesn't mean that we have to preach Islam to that person the moment we become close friends or acquaintances. One of the best ways of calling someone to Islam and showing someone the truth and beauty of Islam is to show them by reflecting Islam's teachings in your character, your choices and your lifestyle. I would suggest to preach to those who want to know and learn, but be cautious and smart about it. There are people out there who may not agree with your message and choose to harm you and your family. Tread very carefully. Brother Joseph and so many others are doing it anonymously, I would suggest you take pointers from their approach.

Yes, absolutely. We are allowed to follow traditions as long as they do not conflict with the message of the Quran. You can follow them as long as they are not unquranic outright or in principle. You will not be sinning if you follow those traditions that do not contradict or do not misalign with the Quran's principles.

Is it illegal to use these phones for personal use? Could your employer reprimand you for this? What is your employer's policy. Follow your employer's policy, this is not a religious matter per se, but breaking your employer's trust or company policy is not something Islam condones. So follow whatever is your company's policy regarding this issue. What others are doing does not matter, it is your deeds for which you have to answer to God, and we cannot get away by saying others were doing it as well.

I hope this helps. God bless :)

Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Duster

• View Profile
Re: Are we commanded to preach Islam and other questions..
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:52:16 PM »

Is it illegal to use these phones for personal use? Could your employer reprimand you for this? What is your employer's policy. Follow your employer's policy, this is not a religious matter per se, but breaking your employer's trust or company policy is not something Islam condones. So follow whatever is your company's policy regarding this issue. What others are doing does not matter, it is your deeds for which you have to answer to God, and we cannot get away by saying others were doing it as well.

I hope this helps. God bless :)

Shalom / peace sister Nura ...

Great wisdom in your post as always ..... Just wanted to support the above with ....

5.1 - O ye who believe! fulfil (all) obligations.

4.59 - O you who believe[d]! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those having authority among you.

>>>As long as no one is being unjust or unprofessional, you are expected to obey those that have authority over you ..... could be parent, employer, government etc. ....

>>>Also as per 5.1 ...you are expected to uphold all obligations !! this includes the law!!

Offline Nura

• View Profile
Re: Are we commanded to preach Islam and other questions...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 12:05:06 AM »
Salam Brother Duster

Thank you for quoting relevant verses. I do agree with all the points you addressed.
Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Joseph Islam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Quran and its Message
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 07:24:49 PM »
Mash'Allah. Good thread and wisdom shared.

My God bless you all.  :)
'During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act' 
George Orwell

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
Salam Dear Sis Nura..

Thank you very much for your time and patience...:)...and again...i found your answer very helpful...thank you very much..
Yes sis...as people today are becoming anti-islam...i felt...if we preach them...they wouldnt take it in a good way..thats y i was confused and thought would ask here...and thanks for clearing it sis..thank you...i feel relieved now...as i pass the message of Quran to those who take it in a good way...:)...

Thanks sis...its tradition..which is followed by other religions too sis...as...everyone does the same thing...but we do not pray or do some idle worship or something like that...its just...some tradition...so..we are not at wrong na sis?..as we are doing the same thing as the other religion people do...

Regarding the phone...there is no such policy or anything as per my knowledge sis...they just installed the phone for our use...they did not say that...we shouldnt be using it for personal use or something...neither our officers can reprimand us for using the phone for personal use...but yes..if we use too much and do not concentrate on our official work...then...we have the chances of being punished...so are we wrong here sis?...i do not use it for too long...just for some short period...and even it does not affect my work as m the incharge of my division..i had to do and maintain everything...and my phone does not effect it...so are we wrong here anywhere?...

Thank you very much for your clear answers sis...:)....

Thanks and regards...
Anjum..

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 04:35:24 PM »
Salam brother Duster...

Thank you very much for quoting the verse and helping further...it states clearly...thank you very much brother...

As per my knowledge...no authority or no higher official has condemn using phone for personal use or something...neither there is any law against it as per our knowledge...

Thank you very much again brother...

Thanks and regards,
Anjum

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 04:36:11 PM »
Salam Brother Joseph...

Thank you very much for your time and appreciation...:)...
We hope you will help us in the future too...

Thanks and regards,
Anjum

Offline Wakas

• View Profile
    • What does The Quran really say?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 05:28:44 AM »
peace,

Definition: preach
publicly proclaim or teach (a religious message or belief).
earnestly advocate (a belief or course of action).

1) first and foremost, one should lead by example.
2) if a discussion happens to come up and you are able to correct/clarify The Quran's position then do so. Note: no formal qualification is needed to do such a thing.

If you want to do over and above this, then that is up to you. The Quran contains verses on this matter, e.g.

Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and argue with them in a way that is best.”  [16:125]

Not equal are the good and the bad response. You shall resort to the one which is better. Thus, the one who used to be your enemy may become your best friend. [41:34]

With regard to the people of the book:

3:187 And when God took the covenant of those who were given the decree/book: "You will make it clear to the people and not conceal it." But they placed it behind their backs and purchased with it a cheap price. Miserable indeed is what they have purchased.

7:169 Then successors came after them who inherited the book/decree, but they opted for the materialism of that which is lower; and they say: "It will be forgiven for us." And they continue to opt for the materialism if it comes to them; was not the covenant of the book/decree taken on them that they would only say the truth about God while they studied what is in it? And the abode of the Hereafter is better for those who are aware. Do you not comprehend?

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 04:06:07 PM »
Salam Brother Wakas...

Thank you very much for sharing useful verses and clearing my doubts...:)...This helps a lot...

Thank you very much brother...

Regards,
Anjum

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 10:19:52 PM »
Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters.

Well "to preach" somewhat sounds weird to me. I would prefer "to spread" the message of Islam or "to introduce Islam to the people in the best way one can do", "being an example". Simply because humanity is in desperate need of it. In need of understanding the beautiful essence of it. We can't be selfish about this. We can't hide it for ourselves.

"Shall We then (warn you not and) take away the Reminder (this Quran) from you, just because you are a people Musrifun (transgressors) ?" (43:5)

"And there may spring from you a nation who invite to goodness, and enjoin right conduct and forbid indecency. Such are they who are successful." (3:104)

"Indeed, those who conceal what We sent down of clear proofs and guidance after We made it clear for the people in the Scripture - those are cursed by Allah and cursed by those who curse. Except for those who repent and correct themselves and make evident [what they concealed]. Those - I will accept their repentance, and I am the Accepting of repentance, the Merciful." (2:159-160)

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 02:40:10 PM »
Salam Brother Ilker..

Thank you very much for your answer and verses...But i have a little doubt...according to the following verse...are we commanded to spread or preach?

"Indeed, those who conceal what We sent down of clear proofs and guidance after We made it clear for the people in the Scripture - those are cursed by Allah and cursed by those who curse. Except for those who repent and correct themselves and make evident [what they concealed]. Those - I will accept their repentance, and I am the Accepting of repentance, the Merciful." (2:159-160)

Regards,
Anjum

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Diverging Thoughts
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
This verse has nothing to do with 'spreading' or 'preaching'. It is referring to certain Jews and Christians of the time who concealed and/or altered parts of their holy books in order to advance their errant theologies.
Regards
wanderer
Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe. (21:18)

Offline ilker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 03:42:12 AM »
Salam folks

About 2:159-160 i partially agree with brother wanderer here. yes it's not about preaching and spreading directly, but indirectly it is related to "spreading the truth, revealing what is hidden".

It may be referring to Jews and Christians of the past, but we should ask the question: "Why did ALLAH (swt) tell us about this ? What should we extract from this past event ?" Obviously it is a message for us. Because it is highly likely that next generations will have those kind of people who conceal the clear ayat of ALLAH (swt) , letting people stay in error, not letting them know the truth.

Don't we see people who idolise their imams, sheikhs, ancestors today ? When you remind them the ayat of ALLAH (swt) do they listen to you ? So what if they try to teach their deviant thoughts to innocent people ? or should I ask: "what if they did this in front of you and you stayed silent then (and afterwards), you didn't want to get involved at all so you let him teach wrong ideas about ALLAH (swt) or Islam ?" Don't you think it's one of those times the truth must be spoken ?

"O you who believe! Whoever from among you turns back from his religion (Islam), Allah will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him; humble towards the believers, stern towards the disbelievers, fighting in the Way of Allah, and never afraid of the blame of the blamers. That is the Grace of Allah which He bestows on whom He wills. And Allah is All-Sufficient for His creatures' needs, All-Knower. "
(5:24)

May ALLAH (swt) make us courageous in those kinds of situations and may HE forgive us if we fail (cause we do, again and again).

Offline Anjum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 05:55:55 PM »
Salam Brother Wanderer...

I see that now..i didnt know..and i thought it meant preaching or spreading...thank you very much for clearing it...:)...it was of use...

Thanks and regards,
Anjum