Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: MISTRANSLATION

Offline Mohammed

• View Profile
MISTRANSLATION
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »
Dear All,
Assalaamu 'alaikum

Many of the non-Arabs translating the Qur'anic term 'Allah' in to 'God'. Can we translate it in the same way as we are translating other attributes of Allah (for example, Al-Rahamn = The Merciful, Al-Raheem = The compassionate, Rabb = Lord, Ilaah = God/deity etc). How can we replace the term 'Allah' with any other term from any language?
-my current understanding. Verify for yourself -17:36.
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Offline munir rana

• View Profile
Re: MISTRANSLATION
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:45:55 PM »

Salam dear mohammed

Forwarding a link. Hope that it will be helpful.

http://quransmessage.com/articles/allah%20is%20not%20an%20exclusive%20name%20for%20god%20FM3.htm.

Another related link : http://quransmessage.com/forum/index.php?topic=1165.0

Best Wishes.

Offline Mohammed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
I agree Munir,

We are allowed to call our Creator as He ordained. I did not say we are allowed to call Him only 'Allah'. My question is, Is it correct/ just to translate the term 'Allah' in to other languages ?
O you who believe! Enter perfectly in islam/ Surrender yourselves wholly unto God [2:208], [3:19-20,85 2:132]

Offline munir rana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »

Dear mohammed
I don't find anything wrong with translation of His name in different languages if the meaning is not deviated. In fact Quran itself is a translation book when it narrates the stories and dialogue of other people/nations.

And yes, I think we can translate His other names and even can create/use new ones also if it suits/harmonizes with His glory. As you said, "we are allowed to call our creator as He ordained". And He ordained us to call Him with with most beautiful names. (7:180).

Hope I didn't miss your point.

Offline Mohammed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 01:20:52 AM »
I am mistaken, that is not mistranslation.

Offline niaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »
Salaamun alaikum,

I seek refuge in God from satan the rejected.

In the name of God, the All Gracious, the All Merciful.

[30:22] And amongst His signs is that He created the skies and the land and the variations of your languages and your colors. Indeed in this there are signs for the knowledgeable.

[14:4] And We did not send any messenger except in the language of his people in order to clarify for them, thereafter, God sends astray whomever He wills and guides whomever He wills. And He is The Almighty, The All Wise.

[35:24] We have surely sent you truthfully as a bearer of good news as well as a warner. And there is not a single people who did not have a warner in its midst.

God is a universal concept. The diversity of languages are a sign from God. Every people have had warners. Every language has a word for God.  Every messenger warned in the language of his people, so would have used the word for God in their own language. Whatever language we speak in, we should use the word for God in that language. Arabic just happens to be the language of the chronologically final scripture. There is no need to use the word for God in the Arabic language when conversing in other languages.

Peace.